Baby chick in distress

Went to the feed store and they suspect mites as well...even though they never were on hay but on paper towels they told me that they could be coming from the hatchery..so am going to clean up their bedding and apply a non toxic all natural ''poultry protector''. I have never seen anything crawling on them, but heck, it is worth a try..will keep posted..

Applied the mite product. One of the two started scratching and crying again two hours later... but was thinking maybe the mites are still active for some time before they die (like fleas are on dogs when you apply flea products). Maybe it takes some time to start working? Keeping fingers crossed..

Applied the mite/lice/flea product at 6:00 pm last night and this morning one of the chicks is still scratching her head and crying.. does this mean I should exclude mites and lice?
Already excluded ear infection since they are on day 4 on antibiotics and still scratching...

Still scratching two days after applying product against mites/lice/fleas. On day five of antibiotics.. now trying neosporin with pain relief applied to the head area.. seeing if it provides some relief.. I am really out of any more ideas on what to do.. if the scratching continues I might have to tape the legs as for spraddle legs to avoid injury.. what a frustrating situation!

How old is this chick? and have you trimmed the nails? I had to trim the nails on my 2 chicks because they were cutting me with them.. they are sharp. also I am sure everyone has told you not to use pain relief that ens in caine?

Last edited:
The neosporin I used has Pramoxine as pain relief.. the chick is 10 days old today... I trimmed the nails using my dog's dremmel tool but it was hard to do and didn't get them rounded as I wished too..

Update; the hatchery contacted me and watched the video. They asked me a few questions and will get back to me, but they are afraid this may be a side effect from the Marek's vaccine..this would be a shame since we got them vaccinated to give them a good start, instead... looks like not
sad.png

I am wondering now if this is something neurological or dermatological since the hatchery believes it is a reaction from the Marek vaccine... I am almost tempted to bath this chick in Dawn dish soap. A while ago, I applied to my cat a topical flea product and she had a skin reaction with intense itching, the vet told me to bathe her in Dawn, I know they bathe wild birds in Dawn when they get their wings in oil from oil spills, if I bathe her, how can I avoid chilling? would doing so make sense? it is midnight and the poor thing cannot get any sleep, and she is keeping us, the dogs, the other chicks awake.. it's gonna be along night...

is it just the one chick doing it? could she have something in her ear canal causing irritation and shes trying to scratch it out??

I cannot see anything odd with the ears.. but she is scratching both sides of her head and lately, she seems to aiming more to the top of the head than the ears...she has also been on antibiotics for 6 days in case it was an infection.. had mite product applied, hatchery is saying it may be a reaction to the Marek's vaccine or it was given badly..I do not know yet if this is neurological or dermatological.. I also applied neosporin with pain relief but all night has been scratching and keeping every body away.. was wondering if washing in dawn dish detergent may help.. she is the only one doing this.. one was starting it too but it stopped the first day..

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom