baby chick is opening mouth after drinking water

babychickens321

Songster
Oct 17, 2021
London England
I have two baby chicks which are 5-6 days old and the first to hatch is doing really well :celebrate its running about and flapping and the other one also does run about but only if the mama gets off it. it mostly stays under her but when it gets out it eats and drinks and pecks at things. HOWEVER it it is considerably smaller than the first one and the first one has the starts of feathers and although the second one does, it is very small.
The first one spends a lot of time out from under the hen but the second stays under the mama.
I've noticed that sometimes when the second one drinks water, it takes a few sips and then swallows it as normal but then it sort of opens it mouth and sort of gags? Not all the time and it doesn't do it normally, only when it drinks water so I don't think its gapeworm or anything.
It is still active but not as much as the first, although sometimes it gets random zoomies and runs around flapping :love

p.s does anyone have any name suggestions? I was thinking pico for the first, (bobo, oz, nemo are my other chickens' names) but dont know about the second.

Back
Top Bottom