baby chick not getting feathers

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rebuilding my flock, May 8, 2009.

1. rebuilding my flock

rebuilding my flock New Egg

Mar 29, 2009
    Hastings, NY
    Has anyone had a chick that is growing well but not getting feathers? I have a 3 1/2 week old Light Brahma that hasn't gotten any new feathers since she was a couple of days old (only on the wing tips). I have 11 other chicks the same age and size and they all have a lot of feathers all over. She seems perfectly fine except for the lack of feathers. Any thoughts?[​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I have a splash Ameraucana that is two weeks old and isn't getting any feathers. All the rest have wing feathers, tail feathers... this one is getting bigger, but no feathers.

Go figure.

3. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    Ummm, the only chicks I've had do that all turned out to be Roos. The roo chicks often feather up a lot slower.

4. rebuilding my flock

rebuilding my flock New Egg

Mar 29, 2009
    Hastings, NY
    I hope it isn't a roo. I ordered pullets because I didn't want another roo. I already have one that's only a year old. Just my luck if it is. My goose had 7 babys and 5 of them were male!

5. amamaofmany

amamaofmany Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    west virginia
    If its any consolation, both of my light Brahma bantams as well as my teeny-tiny Old English Game are not feathering up as fast as some of the others are. They are growing in size, but not getting feathers as fast as say, the Japanese Bantams or the Cochin.

Maybe its just the breed? [​IMG]

6. BoJo

BoJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    Dawsonville, Ga
    I have a 8 week old *free Rare Chick* from McMurray.......it is a black frizzled something....and he only has feathers on the tips of his wings and his head.....I really think and call him ugly bird!! LOL

BoJo

7. Sock Puppet

Sock Puppet Grumpy Hen

Mar 3, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    All mine feathered in normal except my frizzled cochin roo. He is feathering in sooo slow. I looks very funny and hes now 8 weeks old. They are starting to come in. He just looks so ugly.

Here is a picture of "His Uglyness"
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by