Baby Chick Not Growing Feathers

I have never had a late bloomer before. I have had some slower feathering cockerels, but nothing like this. It is definitely an interesting chick. I am just hoping it ends up being a pullet.

I’ve got the same kind of bird and same issue. I actually got 10 Lavender Orps and all but this one are developing gorgeous wings. This one bird seems a little skinny, but it could be I’m comparing it to fully feathered birds. It’s same height, very active, but has wings no bigger than a half dollar. Nothing else to note except it’s wings are the wrong size for its big ol body.

I’ve got the same kind of bird and same issue. I actually got 10 Lavender Orps and all but this one are developing gorgeous wings. This one bird seems a little skinny, but it could be I’m comparing it to fully feathered birds. It’s same height, very active, but has wings no bigger than a half dollar. Nothing else to note except it’s wings are the wrong size for its big ol body.
My slow feathering chick is now 15 weeks old. She still has pin feathers down the middle of her back and not much of a tail, but is otherwise feathered out like the rest. I thought for sure the slow feathering meant I had a surprise cockerel, but at 15 weeks there is little comb and wattle development so I am pretty confident it is a pullet at this point.

A lot depends on what you're feeding them. I always
feed mine 20% starter grower. What you feed them is more
important than the temperature. I've never had a chick that
was slow to feather out.

Back
Top Bottom