Baby Chick Off Balance

Villv57114

Hatching
Jun 1, 2020
Recently, we’ve found a weaker chick among its family. I took it out of the cage and put it inside my house because the mom accidentally kept stepping on it. It’s around a week old and is eating and drinking normally, but is having trouble keeping balance. When it stands still or tries to drink or eat you can see it sway. When it lies down it kind of lies on its side and constantly needs help getting back on its feet. I’ve been giving vitamins, is there anything else I can do?

Thanks, right now I’m putting Nutri Drench with his water. I’m giving him the wet crumbles while supporting his body. We have electrolytes to give him. Should I?

One last thing, is it possible that it could have a disease? It has an eye infection I forgot to mention. But that’s about it.

Did it get pecked in the eye, or do you suspect a respiratory infection. Do you have a picture of the eye. Is it sneezing or breathing hard? I would clean the eye with a washcloth or some saline eye wash. Then put a small dab of Terramycin eye ointment or plain Neosporin ointment in the eye twice a day.

Back
Top Bottom