Baby chick possible impacted crop

The Welch Chickens

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Mar 18, 2023
Rhode Island
Our little Mystic Onyx looks as if her crop is impacted. She eats almost nonstop and her crop is huge. I’ve had impacted crop in a hen before but never a chick.
IMG_2586.jpeg

Last edited:
Our little Mystic Onyx looks as if her crop is impacted. She eats almost nonstop and her crop is huge. I’ve had impacted crop in a hen before but never a chick.
View attachment 3778326
Please help ASAP as I don’t want to leave her without treatment all night!
Big doesn't mean impacted it just means full.. is it still pooping and active? Sounds like it is from initial description. What is your light source? A night time routine is helpful. If in total darkness, then it should empty over night.. if red or any type of light emitting bulb is used.. chicks will eat throughout the night also.

If it stops eating.. or starts acting lethargic.. then concern is needed. And checking for pasty butt is a good place to start, followed by coccidiosis symptoms.. depending on age.

is it still pooping and active?
Yes, she is very active and pooping normally and often.
What is your light source? A night time routine is helpful. If in total darkness, then it should empty over night.. if red or any type of light emitting bulb is used.. chicks will eat throughout the night also.
I use a heat lamp, so yes it is light all the time. They sort of have a lighter and darker period, because there is light from the windows and a lightbulb above them on during the day. They do sleep more when it's turned off at night, but still get up and eat.
If it stops eating.. or starts acting lethargic.. then concern is needed. And checking for pasty butt is a good place to start, followed by coccidiosis symptoms.. depending on age.
No other symptoms as of right now, but I will monitor her.

Thank you so much for your help!

Back
Top Bottom