Baby Chick Question - Free Range or Not?

sharideboer

Hatching
8 Years
May 31, 2011
Hi,

We just found one of our chickens yesterday with 8 little new chicks. We have a caged chicken house that all go into at night, feed/water/sleep/lay eggs/roost. This mama has decided NOT to go back in with her babies. I am not used to little chicks without the heat lamp, water and sawdust on the bottom of a big pen. Should I be confining these little peeps or should I just let mama have her way?

Thanks,
Shari

Mama takes care of any heat needs, just as she did while incubating, you don't have to worry about that.

I've always let my mamas raise chicks in with the flock, but then (so far) my broodies have been good about protecting their chicks. They're still fairly small at 4 or 5 weeks when mama usually stops mothering, but the flock has already accepted them, so no integration issues.

Thank you!

We will just let them have their way and see what happens. So far, our dogs, cats, other chickens and ducks, do not seem to be bothered by 16 new little feet. Our flock is about 30+ chickens and 7 ducks. They ALL (including the house animals) get along, amazingly.

Back
Top Bottom