Baby chick smells like tomato soup

ChelseaT

In the Brooder
May 9, 2017
Seattle, WA
Hello cohorts,
First time chicken owner here. I have 3 chicks that are about 1ish weeks old. I pick them up and hold them every day to get them used to me handling them, and I noticed today that my most beloved chick (her name is Mary Anne) was giving off a slight odor of tomato soup. I think it may be her breath. She's acting totally normal, except for she may be chirping *slightly* louder than normal. She's also extremely sassy, so it might just be her personality coming through more as she gets older. It's probably nothing, but I want to be the best chicken owner I can, and if this is the beginning signs of something serious, I want to take care of it immediately. I've searched the web, and previous forums and haven't been able to find any information. They don't really get any extra food besides their chick feed, chick grit and every couple of days I'll put a small clump of grass and dirt in their brooder to pick through. Anyhoo, if that raises any red flags with anyone, I'd love to hear your input.
Thanks,
Chelsea

How's your chick doing? What a strange thing to smell like. I have no clue what it could be, but I was wondering if it turned out to be anything.

Ok I know this post is old but this is only one of 2 posts I have seen that is relatable. I got a 2 day old salmon faverolle. She is loud AF and has unexpendable energy. Due to he constant running around and bumping into other chicks I have aptly named her Dozer. She smells like tomato soup. Not her breath but her whole body. Also, she is the smallest and slowest growing one out of the flock. ( Her sister didn't make it but all the other breeds have done fine) But, as I said, she straight up smells like tomato soup. I do know that the nutrena non medicated chick food has oregano in it and I thought maybe I was just associating the smell but when I first got her all I could smell was tomatoes of some sort. When I googled it a post came up with tomato soup and I was like,BINGO!! None of the other chicks smell like this. Anyone else ever have this problem? Tia.

Back
Top Bottom