1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Baby Chick With Eye Problem

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sadykhovful, Apr 7, 2012.

1. sadykhovful

sadykhovful New Egg

Apr 7, 2012
    Hey people. I'm a long time semi-casual lurker here at BYC. Last May was my first time raising baby chicks, and the ones I raised are now happily living in my backyard. A BO, Australorp and a RIR. Of course I fell in love with this hobby and wanted to add to the "flock", so I decided to go to a local feed store to pick up some more chicks.

Here's the problem: On Thursday 3.5.12 I go to pick up a Speckled Sussex and a Golden Wyandotte to add to the Barred Rock and Sex Link chicks I purchased about a week before. Unfortunately the Wyandotte died just this morning. Sad of course, but at least the other chick I had seemed healthy.

Today I pick up the Speckled Sussex chick, and I noticed one of her eyes/ eyelids didn't seem right. It looks like the lower part of her eyelid is swollen/ abnormally large. I didn't want to mess with her eyelid and try to pry it open, but I did notice when she opened it on her own that the eye was glazed over and it looks like it's a blue/grey shade. She seems to want to keep it closed most of the time. The sick eye also looks like it's protruding out a little bit and is definitely larger in size than her other eye. Her other eye looks like any other chick's eye that I have.

That's all the relevant information I can think of. The chick is about 3 days old. She is eating and drinking water like any other chick I've had. She's walking around, seems comfortable. By her behavior, I couldn't tell if anything was wrong. It was only when I physically checked her eye I saw the problem.

I'm no vet, and I have no experience with baby chick health problems so I was hoping I could get an opinion from some of you good people. I plan on bringing her to the feed store tomorrow where I got her from to see if anybody there could tell me anything (and perhaps to get some more chicks). I took some pictures to show the problem. I can take more pictures if necessary.

A big thank you to anybody who wants to read all this and help me out. Help is greatly appreciated :)

I will be more than happy to take better pictures if these don't give anything to go by just let me know !

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I think no one has replied so far because, we are not quite sure what is going on. I'm not sure if the cloudiness is from the chick keeping the inner eye lid closed or if something has become "detached" so to speak or what. If is is just swelling and a minor infection then you can put neosprin without the pain reliever ingredient in and around the eye. If it ends up being something more serious and the chick loses site in one eye, let me reassure you that chickens can function quite well with sight in just one eye.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by