baby chick with injured leg

If you look at the picture here and the explanation, does this seem to be what it is? I do believe it may be the issue.

I'd have it on Poultry Cell in its water or the B-Complex Vitamin drops you can buy for their water. Not a cure but it'll help its muscles and bones.

https://poultrydvm.com/condition/slipped-tendon#:~:text=Slipped tendon often occurs in,genetics also influence its onset.

And an article on BYC showing how to fix it.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/peachick-with-slipped-tendon.1092979/

An excellent YouTube video showing how to fix slipped tendons.

Last edited:
she has him in the incubator and hes 6 days old. he really cant walk hes always wobbling and falling to one side and flaps a lot when walking.

i was thinking that keeping him in the incubator wasnt going to be good for him as its basically enclosed except for a hole on top and it might be too hot for him (35 degrees). the incubator doesnt have holes for eggs its just flat and has a heater blowing on one side.
The joint looks like it may be infected and it's probably slipped as well.

Clean the joint/scab with an antiseptic and apply an antibiotic ointment.
If the tendon is slipped, you can try correcting that. I see you've been given info on that in previous posts.

A 6 day old chick needs to be in brooder. An incubator is just that, a device used to incubate eggs for hatching, once hatched and dried, chicks are moved to a brooder that has more room to move about to eat/drink, etc.
You do need to provide 1 warm spot in the brooder. A brooder plate, heating pad cave or heat lamp can be used to provide heat for the chick. The rest of the brooder can be room temp or cooler.

oh my gosh thank you to everyone SO SO SO MUCH
which kind of antibiotic ointment should she apply? im really worried right now because she thought it was just swollen so she was putting a numbing medicine or something on it so the chick wouldnt feel pain. that means its inside the chicks bloodstream.
I will update in a bit.

which kind of antibiotic ointment should she apply? im really worried right now because she thought it was just swollen so she was putting a numbing medicine or something on it so the chick wouldnt feel pain. that means its inside the chicks bloodstream.
I will update in a bit.
Probably just the basic antibiotic ointment that you keep in the bathroom. I always have this in my house for my family's cuts and straps but mainly for the chickens!

This is really my fault and I’m seriously annoyed I didn’t check my inbox sooner. The chick is nearly two weeks old, around ten eleven days. Can it’s tendon be fixed?

I will update in a bit.

This is really my fault and I’m seriously annoyed I didn’t check my inbox sooner. The chick is nearly two weeks old, around ten eleven days. Can it’s tendon be fixed?
Triple antibiotic ointment like Neosporin if you have that available in England.

Is vet care an option at all? If so, that would be best.

The older a chick is, the harder it is to correct or fix leg issues. If the joint is still infected, then that needs to be addressed - a vet can prescribe antibiotics to help knock out infection and best advise you whether or not the leg is fixable at this stage.

Triple antibiotic ointment like Neosporin if you have that available in England.

Is vet care an option at all? If so, that would be best.

The older a chick is, the harder it is to correct or fix leg issues. If the joint is still infected, then that needs to be addressed - a vet can prescribe antibiotics to help knock out infection and best advise you whether or not the leg is fixable at this stage.
there are absolutely no avian vets here unfortunately 🙁🙁

hey guys
for a few days she was saying hes fine and getting better
i said she should put antibiotic, she said she is.
all she said was shes worried ab him walking because his front bit of the leg in front of the hock part is lifted up to belly

i visited her today but i think hes gone very much WORSE. i asked her if shes giving antibiotic, she said she is. She thinks hes getting better because of the scabbing, she thinks its healing. but it looks to me like a proper worse infection like you guys said and he is sort of hobbling a lot and resting on his hocks.
He is active and escapes the brooder ( she now has a brooder) and goes around the living room but his injury seems really bad.
8867C249-F8F3-4894-8343-2349F1A4B2C1.jpeg

A2BCA22B-73EB-47B7-AA8F-05A1A82A024C.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom