Baby Chicks and Mareks

You can give the vaccine at any time, but it is best to do it as a day old before they are exposed to Mareks in their environment. It takes 2 full weeks for the vaccine to become effective.

You can give the vaccine at any time, but it is best to do it as a day old before they are exposed to Mareks in their environment. It takes 2 full weeks for the vaccine to become effective.

Would you recommend buying chicks that are about a month old that hasnt been vaccinated, but you’re going to vaccinate them yourself anyway? I know the whole putting them in a quarantine for a month.

It depends. Some never vaccinate their birds. I usually ask for vaccinated chicks from the hatcheries, but I have some chickens who were hatched by me that never were vaccinated. I have never had a case of Mareks that I know of. In areas where there are a lot of poultry, or poultry farms, it would make sense to vaccinate. Do you have other birds who are vaccinated? The vaccine is not 100% effective, but I tend to like vaccinating. But I would never start vaccinating my own birds here because of the cost and the shipping of the vaccine. If I had a confirmed case, I might, but so far I have been fortunate.

I don’t see anything to lose by getting the unvaccinated birds, and if you chose to vaccinate them, then that is fine. The vaccine comes in a 1000 dose vials, a dry part and a wet part. When it is mixed, it has to be used within a hour. When it is ordered, you must also buy a cooler and ice packs from the manufacturer to insure that it gets to you cold. Jefferspet.com sells it.

It depends. Some never vaccinate their birds. I usually ask for vaccinated chicks from the hatcheries, but I have some chickens who were hatched by me that never were vaccinated. I have never had a case of Mareks that I know of. In areas where there are a lot of poultry, or poultry farms, it would make sense to vaccinate. Do you have other birds who are vaccinated? The vaccine is not 100% effective, but I tend to like vaccinating. But I would never start vaccinating my own birds here because of the cost and the shipping of the vaccine. If I had a confirmed case, I might, but so far I have been fortunate.

I don’t see anything to lose by getting the unvaccinated birds, and if you chose to vaccinate them, then that is fine. The vaccine comes in a 1000 dose vials, a dry part and a wet part. When it is mixed, it has to be used within a hour. When it is ordered, you must also buy a cooler and ice packs from the manufacturer to insure that it gets to you cold. Jefferspet.com sells it.

All my chickens are vaccinated, which is why Im taking precautions. Im just afraid that if I get these pair of chicks that are not vaccinated, there is a greater chance to contract Mareks which it can also spread with the other flocks.

Well, I think it would make you feel better knowing that these new chickens were protected. Keep in mind, that if they were raised by another person for 4-6 weeks, they could have been exposed already. Vaccinating is a controversial subject, but I cannot see a reason to not vaccinate them if I wanted to.

Back
Top Bottom