Baby chicks beak doesn't match up???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by magikk, Apr 10, 2009.

1. magikk

magikk Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2008
    central PA
    Hey everyone one of little chicks that hatched a few weeks ago has a crooked beak.The bottom part of it goes out from under the top part. & they don't go together like they should.Is there any way of fixing this.The poor little guy has been eating & drinking fine for 2 weeks now but it seems to be getting more crooked.I figured it couldn't hurt to ask before I get rid of him.Thanks Mike
    [​IMG]

2. gpamela3499

gpamela3499 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Near San Fran Ca
    Yes

I was told to cull before I got too attached but I decided to let it play out. There are a few folks that have had wonderful success but I think their's had the malformation at the top. [​IMG]

My little chick had it on the bottom and the defect became too great he could no longer eat. His gullet was empty all the time, he peaked at the foo all the time, and acted as if he was starving. Then he began to sit listless lost weight and became weak I culled in a humane manner while crying like I lost a dear friend.

I would do it again because the chick allowed me to value his life and the students at the preschool learned a lot from him as well.
    They still continue to ask about him.[​IMG]

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=145654

I am so silly I can't even write the post without crying

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  3. thewarriorchild

thewarriorchild Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Ringwood area, NJ
    I got two from tractor supply that way but worse and with only one eye. I would try and keep it going till it seemed like it wasnt making it. Who knows it may live along life. Give it deep dishes to drink out of and vitamins in it's water.

4. Kezzie

Kezzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Coastal Georgia
    I'm struggling with that issue right now as well. I have had two crossbeaks develop in the past week or two (my babies are about 5 weeks old).

Here's the worst one:

[​IMG]

Both of them are doing fine now but I guess I'll have to watch them to see if they get worse and struggle to eat and drink.

5. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    I have a two year old wyandotte with a bad cross beak and she is doing well. She has to work a lot harder to eat and looks a little rougher than the other girls because of it. When my flock is free ranging she usually stays inside and eats more due to the lack of competition. I have to watch her to make sure her body condition is ok, I've had to pull her from the flock twice during the winter and put her with my 11 year old hen in my feed room so that she didn't have any competition. During the rest of the year she does great, its only when my birds are kept indoors and tend to fight more that she doesn't get enough to eat.

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:The link provided here is a good link. I was looking for another one where the poster had good luck with their cross beak, but couldn't find the thread I was looking for.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2009
  7. SilkieTime

SilkieTime Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Joelton Tn.
    I go one like that a week ago. A silkie pink skin also. So far so good. My husband likes it best.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by