Baby chicks don't get along :(

Angie09

In the Brooder
Aug 24, 2022
So about half an hour or more ago, my second baby chick hatched, but there were dried up membrane and a large piece of eggshell still attached. I tried my best to remove them and got most of it off, but lots of it's feathers got removed too and it's weak. I dried it up and put it with my other baby chick but the older one kept pecking and stepping over it and disturb its sleep. The new chick seems to like the other one as it keeps moving towards him. But kept stumbling over as it's still weak. Should I keep them separated? I want them to bond but I don't know how

Baby chicks should be kept in the incubator for at least the first 6-12 hours after hatching. This gives them enough time to rest up, dry off, and find their feet. It doesn't take much for baby chicks (especially newly hatched) to bond. Just let them do their own thing.

Do you have any more eggs that will be hatching?

I imagine the little guy is moving closer to the older one because he’s cold. Downy feathers aren’t insulating as it is, and if he’s missing a few, he’s extra susceptible to being chilled. If I were you, I would keep them separate until the new baby gets his strength up a bit, at least overnight. Make sure he’s nice and cozy - around 95f is recommended for newly hatched chicks. 😊
I wouldn’t be concerned about the pecking, as it’s pretty normal when introducing new chicks to each other… usually done out of curiosity or fear rather than aggression. Just watch to make sure no blood is drawn. I know weaker chickens tend to be severely bullied for the survival of the flock, not sure if chicks have this instinct, but having the weak baby in there could put a target on him.

Good luck!

Baby chicks should be kept in the incubator for at least the first 6-12 hours after hatching. This gives them enough time to rest up, dry off, and find their feet. It doesn't take much for baby chicks (especially newly hatched) to bond. Just let them do their own thing.

Do you have any more eggs that will be hatching?
I have five more eggs in the incubator but have not shown signs of cracking yet.

You need to leave the newly hatched chicks in the incubator. Don't remove them to the brooder. And isolate the chick you did that to in the brooder before the other chicks kill it. Keep it warm and don't disturb it.

Did you put all the eggs into the incubator on the same day?
Have you candled during incubation to check on development?
Yes and yes, but then again those eggs are bigger than the ones already hatched and my humidity was set too low, I've begun to realize that now

Back
Top Bottom