baby chicks eye problem- PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

avallen

Chirping
May 24, 2022
California
hi.

so if you look at a post i made earlier today it talks about one of our chicks and his eye.
well his eye problem is worse now. a lot worse. his affected eye is closed but there’s no discharge at all, although it looks the tiniest bit swollen.
his balance is terrible! he has trouble walking. and his head moves from left to right a lot. he sometimes goes into these spasms where his head goes up and down or from left to right violently and he kind of flails around.
he’s cheeping though, and sometimes flaps his wings. he’ll sometimes try walking, and he’ll be okay for a few minutes, but then he looses his balance.

i have him in a separate brooder all by himself.

i just would like advice on how to feed him, give him water, and also if i should do something to heal his eye. also would appreciate any insight on to what’s wrong, or if anyone has ever had a similar experience.
please, please help me. i dont want to loose this precious baby! 😭🤍

So you have any pictures? Are there any bubbles or foam in the eye? Did you hatch the chick? Was it pecked? Has it been anyplace else or exposed to older chickens? Clean the eye with saline or eye wash, and apply either Terramycin eye ointment or plain Neosporin 2-3 times a day. It could be a peck in the eye or the start of symptoms of a respiratory diseases, such as MG.

4B52BD68-C8DE-41B3-A1F0-7433AB0D8CB0.jpeg

yes, here’s a pic. disregard the crusty-looking peice; its a shaving fragment and i took it off after the pic.
no; there’s no bubbles, foam, discharge… it looks completely normal.
no, i did not hatch it. one of my hens hatched him and he was completely fine and normal until this morning.
yes, he was around his mom, siblings, as well as my other hen and rooster this morning.
i believe it was either his mom that hurt him ( she killed 3 of her chicks due to a staggered hatch) or my rooster. i plan to separate the other chicks from their mom and hand raise the other 2 because of her aggressive tendencies.
anything else i can do for him?

Back
Top Bottom