Baby Chicks Fighting! Help!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by NewcomerChicken, Mar 12, 2013.

1. NewcomerChicken

NewcomerChicken Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2013
    I have 5, five week old chicks in the same cage. Three partridge rock, and two old english game chickens. We have no clue what their gender is. Well, today the two old english game chickens (that came from the same chicken = brothers/sisters) started fighting today. One of them attacked and then the other one started defending itself. One of them ended up with a bitten comb and a bloody ear. Any reason for this?? This horrible fighting just started today.

2. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    Sorry at this young age I'm not sure why ones raised together would just start fighting. Sometimes they will start fighting if they are in too small of a space. If they draw blood - the blood needs to be covered or they will all start will start pecking at it. Blukote or purple iodine spray will treat the wound and cover it. You may need to divide them off with hardware cloth so, they can see each other but can't hurt each other. Good Luck.

3. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Maybe they are two roosters? I don't know if they would start fighting this early though. But like fried green eggs said, you need to cover the blood ASAP or the others will peck it too.

4. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    How large is this "cage"? Do they have plenty of chick feed and fresh water? They will soon be old enough to be moved to the outside coop. Hopefully you have a brooder lamp out there as well for a few weeks. Mine have an isolated area from the flock so they can all get acquanited. There can be small scuffles as the pecking order gets sorted out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by