Baby chicks fighting like roosters

Well, unless they are Bantams if I had 20/25 cockerels I would be well and happy. We had the same discussion in another thread - here cockerels that are just about to start (but not yet) crowing are considered to make the tastiest soup, so their price triples as they approach 4-5 months of age (just before they start crowing) and then as soon as they start crowing, the price drops down. I am not sure what I will end up with, but even if the majority are cockerels, we will be eating a lot of delicacysen (I know such word does not exist :) soup :)

That's interesting. The Hmong that buy from me seem disappointed that my cockerels weren't fully grown. I thought they would be most tasty young, but I wouldn't know since I don't eat my own birds. :)

They're better tasting when younger, they're more tender. The older the get the tougher they get, they're only good for stews at that point.

My husband didn't want to do meat chickens because when he was a child his aunt used to have him process and butcher the retired chickens... He said that they were really tough. I had to talk him into letting me do meat chickens because I am processing/butchering them at 20-24 weeks. He is so nervous that the chickens are going to be tough :gig

here cockerels that are just about to start (but not yet) crowing are considered to make the tastiest soup, so their price triples as they approach 4-5 months of age (just before they start crowing) and then as soon as they start crowing, the price drops down.
That is fascinating!
But this year I had a cockerel crowing at one week old... yes, one week old.
I slaughter cockerels at about 14-16 weeks,
just around when they start trying to mount,
they are usually all crowing well before then tho.

That is fascinating!
But this year I had a cockerel crowing at one week old... yes, one week old.
I slaughter cockerels at about 14-16 weeks,
just around when they start trying to mount,
they are usually all crowing well before then tho.
Is the meat good at that age?

Is the meat good at that age?
Yep, but there's not much there on the layer breeds I am processing.
At 14 weeks meat is still tender enough to put on the grill for that crispy skinned deliciousness. The grilled bones make excellent stock too.
Anything older I pressure cook.
I've learned that the key to more tender meat lies in the length of resting the cleaned carcass before cooking or freezing. The older the bird the longer I rest it.
14-16 week old cockerels rest 2-3 days.
Old hens rest 3-5 days.
When I buy a fresh turkey to butcher into parts,
I let it rest 5 days...much easier to cut up.

Yep, but there's not much there on the layer breeds I am processing.
At 14 weeks meat is still tender enough to put on the grill for that crispy skinned deliciousness. The grilled bones make excellent stock too.
Anything older I pressure cook.
I've learned that the key to more tender meat lies in the length of resting the cleaned carcass before cooking or freezing. The older the bird the longer I rest it.
14-16 week old cockerels rest 2-3 days.
Old hens rest 3-5 days.
When I buy a fresh turkey to butcher into parts,
I let it rest 5 days...much easier to cut up.
We are doing turkeys next year. We just started dual breeds for meat. Right now they're 6 days old. I'm keeping a few as layers, but most are going to be for meat. The dogs will get the necks, livers, and gizzards. I'm thinking about dehydrating feet for them, but still haven't decided.

We are doing turkeys next year. We just started dual breeds for meat. Right now they're 6 days old. I'm keeping a few as layers, but most are going to be for meat. The dogs will get the necks, livers, and gizzards. I'm thinking about dehydrating feet for them, but still haven't decided.
Not sure about turkeys, ones I bought were already slaughtered no feet or necks included, but chicken necks and feet go into stock here.

THANK YOU! After hearing it from 3 witnesses (very Biblical :)) , that is all so relieving :wee, I was concerned I have ended up with 25 cockerels :rolleyes:
Guess just addenoughh calcium tobtheir dirt and that will be no more , it aint a matter you identified their sex .

Back
Top Bottom