Baby chicks for our first time! Is that constant cheep a worry?

Pics

Celticdragonfly

Crowing
May 17, 2018
Saginaw, TX
We have babies! Just picked up our chicks at Russell Feed Supply today.
New babies 4-25-19 b.jpg New babies 4-25-19 c.jpg

Right - Easter Egger - her name is Cera.
Center - the wee little one is an Ideal 236 Leghorn hybrid, her name is Terri.
Left - red sex link, seems the biggest and boldest, her name is Steggie.

New chicks 4-25-19 in hand.jpg

On our way home, I put my hand down and in the corner of the cardboard box, fingers curled under - and they decided this was indeed an acceptable Mama-substitute, and first one, then two, then all three shoved their way under there and snuggled up, and the sound went from a constant upset CHEEPCHEEPCHEEPCHEEP to an occasional soft cheep-cheep and periods of total quiet.

New babies 4-25-19 in the brooder.jpg

There's Steggie in the brooder box - Cera and Terri are both under the brooder plate. My daughter Maggie took each baby, dipped their beak in the water, then the food, and then tucked them under the edge of the brooder plate so they'd know where the warm one. Steggie started eating right away.

Right now, the other two are under the brooder plate, and Steggie is standing in the middle of the box, cheeping like mad. Is she cold, and just too dumb to come in to the warm? Should we be worried if we're hearing cheep cheep cheep cheep cheep on repeat?

It got quieter so I went and looked - they're all under the brooder plate now, just quiet chirpy sounds now and then. Now I just have to resist pulling them out to make sure they're all 3 alive.
You need a Wyze camera so you can check on them from anywhere!
https://www.wyze.com

eta. I have one of each type camera.
I love them both but prefer the one that rotates.

Back
Top Bottom