Baby Chicks getting eyes pecked by bully

Thank you for this thread! I have an eyeball pecking chick. She/he is awful (the two welsummer chicks I got were straight run). It's name was Lollipop, but hubby renamed her 'Hen'nible Lector. We cannot have her with the other chicks as she instantly tilts her head and starts going for eyeballs. Complete chaos ensues and she/he must be separated again. It is awful!

She inspired this chicken zombie I made...and if you are wondering, the zombie eggs did come first.

Of all my chicks, Trump and Labamba had it the worst, and I had to put gel on their eyes that were closed due to injuries-after their treatments they seem ok, thankfully.

For now I am going to keep the stupid thing separated with only a test once every few days, I can't risk the health of everyone else because of one troublemaker.

Last edited:
Thank you for this thread! I have an eyeball pecking chick. She/he is awful (the two welsummer chicks I got were straight run). It's name was Lollipop, but hubby renamed her 'Hen'nible Lector. We cannot have her with the other chicks as she instantly tilts her head and starts going for eyeballs. Complete chaos ensues and she/he must be separated again. It is awful! She inspired this chicken zombie I made...and if you are wondering, the zombie eggs did come first. Of all my chicks, Trump and Labamba had it the worst, and I had to put gel on their eyes that were closed due to injuries-after their treatments they seem ok, thankfully. For now I am going to keep the stupid thing separated with only a test once every few days, I can't risk the health of everyone else because of one troublemaker.
I wonder why some chicks do that? Good to keep her separately for now.I'm wondering if they think the eyes are bugs or something?

That is the only thing I can think of? Or it is just born mean? It's a nasty thing. I tried again this afternoon to integrate, for about a minute I was hopeful. It hopped around with the rest and ate some of their food...then FULL EYEBALL MODE. So sad. :(

That is the only thing I can think of?  Or it is just born mean?  It's a nasty thing.  I tried again this afternoon to integrate, for about a minute I was hopeful.  It hopped around with the rest and ate some of their food...then FULL EYEBALL MODE.  So sad. :(  

That's just awful! I don't know what I'll do if I get a eyeball pecker!! I've also heard of them pecking eyeballs AND dragging the others around by their legs!! not the first time I've heard this and just makes me curious if some are just hatched mean?? or is it just simple curiosity?? I'd love to learn the answer to this myself??

I did some searching online on this behavior because I was curious. I wanted to share what I found with you. it said darker colored chicks are usually attracted to lighter chicks eyeballs because they stand out more in the lighter chick and they love to peck shiny things. They said it's a instinct like grabbing shiny bugs. it also said the behavior will very soon be out grown. Hope this helps. So according to what I read the chick is not meaning to be mean.

I have had chickens for 15 years. While I have had some 1-2 day olds peck eyes or grab leg feathers, the behavior stopped at that age. I would keep the offender isolated behind some wire until you can determine whether or not the pecking will continue.

I did notice that it goes for the lighter ones-I have a few dark ones and their eyes do 'blend' in with the surrounding fluff...Both of the ones that had eyes swollen shut were my lighter ones. I am so hopeful this will get grown out of. Oh my gosh, the thing is EVIL! haha!

Thanks, that is what I'm doing-it is in a separate container that is fairly see through so it can see it's friends and doesn't cry like it is upset. I keep trying to introduce it-but so far a no go. I'll be patient!

I put the offending chick in "jail"--an over-turned plastic mesh basket--any time the chick was acting aggressive. After a few days of separation, the aggression was over and we couldn't tell which chick was the bully.

Update on 'Hen'nible Lector: So far so good.. She/he has been with the rest of The Sock Hop Girls for about an hour and all is peaceful. She has pecked some eyeballs-but only a curious gentle peck-not that crazy scary stuff she/he was doing before. I will closely monitor to see if we have any relapses but I am keeping my feathers crossed that we have moved on from that awful stage!

ETA: Made it 12 hours-and then through the night! I'm very very hopeful! :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom