Baby chicks in coop with older chickens

All of the advice here has been great. So, when she started getting Broody, she had 1 real egg and 3 fake eggs. Later I found out that she has collected other eggs, I think she stole them. :) I decided to let her brood to see how she did. I had a broody before and sometimes, you have to let them do what is natural. Any way, our coop is raised and the nesting boxes are already on the floor. So I will let her see how she does and work to move her and the new chicks to a safe place once they are born. I think we have about 15 days to go so will keep you posted once we begin to see new chicks.

All of the advice here has been great. So, when she started getting Broody, she had 1 real egg and 3 fake eggs. Later I found out that she has collected other eggs, I think she stole them. :) I decided to let her brood to see how she did. I had a broody before and sometimes, you have to let them do what is natural. Any way, our coop is raised and the nesting boxes are already on the floor. So I will let her see how she does and work to move her and the new chicks to a safe place once they are born. I think we have about 15 days to go so will keep you posted once we begin to see new chicks.
Same again though I think my hatch is a few days ahead of yours... the floor of mine is waist height and the ramps are a bit steep. I'm thinking I'll keep them sectioned off in the coop and shift them outside on a daily basis myself until they're ready to venture 'up' with mom. She's very easy to handle though... no hissing or pecking - I can just pluck her off the nest and handle her eggs with no issues. I have to in fact... otherwise she doesn't eat or go toilet, silly broody.

move her and the new chicks to a safe place once they are born
This may not be necessary. I've had 3 broodies hatch clutches in the coop with the rest of the flock, including 2 roos. No chick has been hurt by any of the other birds, irrespective of the status of the broody (one was top hen, another next to bottom). The subordinate roo (who was himself hatched within the flock) even played daddy to the third brood when mum abandoned them, and roamed with the juveniles for another month or so.

This may not be necessary. I've had 3 broodies hatch clutches in the coop with the rest of the flock, including 2 roos. No chick has been hurt by any of the other birds, irrespective of the status of the broody (one was top hen, another next to bottom). The subordinate roo (who was himself hatched within the flock) even played daddy to the third brood when mum abandoned them, and roamed with the juveniles for another month or so.
I imagine a hen in lower pecking order would definitely have more issues raising chicks within the flock compared to those in higher pecking order. But there again mothering can bring out the strength in the weakest when it comes to protecting our young ones. Wondering what the statistics are on this and if this rule holds true that the higher pecker order hen has less issues with flock in raising chicks safely the majority of the time.:caf Edit: reworded to make it more understandable.

Last edited:
I imagine a hen in lower pecking order would definitely have more issues raising chicks within the flock compared to those in higher pecking order
Too true! That hen puffs herself up to resemble a basketball, and emits a wider range (and volume) of noises than I've heard from other birds in the flock. But she was a good mum, calling the chicks under her skirts at first sign of trouble, and gently leading them away from potential trouble. She's sitting again now...clutch due 19 Sept :pop

Back
Top Bottom