Baby chicks in the coop...

Farmer Doc

Chirping
Feb 24, 2018
This is our first time having a broody momma hatch chicks for us. She is doing so in a quiet coop that is connected to the main coop by a run (which has a divider currently). The coop is about 30 inches off the ground with a chicken ladder leading from the ground to a hole in the floor. There is a 5-inch litter dam surrounding the hole in the floor. My question is...

Will she lead the chicks down to eat when it is time or do I need to put food in the coop?

Eggs hatched on Sunday afternoon. I did put a small watered in the coop Sunday evening. We hear lots of peeping and have seen a chick or two but no one has come down to eat. Currently in a cold spell - daytime temps around 50 with nighttime temps in the lower 30s. Warming back to 60s/40s starting Thursday.

Thanks in advance for the assistance. We want to let nature do what it does and not interfere too much but we also don't want to be any cause for hunger!

I always provide chick food inside the coop/nest box when a hen is with newly hatched chicks. They might not eat for a couple of days after hatching but sometimes they do, and they won't travel far to get the food. In my opinion, the ramp sounds a bit high and they might not be happy going down for food yet.

also are you sure the ladder is not too steep an angle for the chicks to climb? Until their wings are feathered in they have trouble with steep climbs and can get very distressed and chilled if unable to follow their mother back up.

also are you sure the ladder is not too steep an angle for the chicks to climb? Until their wings are feathered in they have trouble with steep climbs and can get very distressed and chilled if unable to follow their mother back up.

I don't think it is too steep and the steps are fairly close. This is our "hospital coop" so I made the ramp pretty easy to climb. Of course that is my POV...maybe be very different for a little chick! My big worry was the litter dam to the first step...

how high is the dam? It's really only the first week that the chicks need to be so coddled with everything nearby because they spend the majority of their time under their mother. After that they start whizzing around like little bullets and have no trouble finding the food!

We put a little something in there this evening. We will take it out later this weekend or whenever they are spotted venturing down. Momma is a Buff Orpington that is entering her second laying summer. She has been broody more than I can count but this is the first time we let her hatch some.

Thanks everyone for the input!

Back
Top Bottom