baby chicks in winter

Goldmama

In the Brooder
Jan 2, 2019
Anchorage, Alaska
I'm relatively new to chickens. I got baby chicks in April 2018. After that, I picked up 2 other flocks for free & another rooster w/ his 4 baby chicks & a stray. So I've raised chicks in spring & fall, but now it's winter. I had 2 broody hens so I collected eggs & put them under the hens. Don't worry I put them under on the same day, not 3 a day. 1 clutch should be pipped on Sat & the other on the 10th. I will move mamas out of the unheated barn & coop area when they pip out...OR SHOULD I MOVE THEM OUT THE DAY BEFORE THEY PIP THROUGH? They are being moved to our heated garage with the mamas & I have one heat plate brooder....
DO I NEED TO USE THE HEAT PLATE BROODER IF THE CHICKS ARE IN WITH THE MAMAS?
SHOULD I KEEP THE MAMAS IN WITH THE CHICKS PAST 8 WEEKS?
WHEN CAN THE CHICKS MOVE OUT TO THE UNHEATED BARN?

When we had the other chicks in the fall we kept them in the barn in a small quarantine with a chicken wire door & a lot of hay. Then we let them out to run around the barn with the door shut, then in & outside periodically now we just leave the barn door open.

Yes, if mama is taking care of the babies, they will go under her for warmth when they need to. If you can put her in a brooder cage away from other chickens for the first few days, that will help protect them all from the rest of the flock. Every chicken is different though - some will care for babies for months, others will send them on their way after a few weeks.

like right now while they're unhatched?
No wait till they hatch if u move them now the hen may reject the eggs wait 2 days after the hatch date and move them like I said block the entrance of the nest the hens are in the day before they are due to hatch to keep any babies from falling out and the hen getting off the nest to keep those babies warm

Welcome to BYC!

As Justin said, it rather depends on your climate. We Pennsylvanians been having an extremely mild winter and it hasn't dipped below 10 F at all so far this year (at least, not where I live) I would have chicks out with their mother, running around. If you live in Alaska, your weather patterns, and thus, my advice, are going to be a little different.
We live in Anchorage, AK. so it's cold. this winter has been quite good thus far though.

my hens are very friendly. I go take them out by hand 2 x's a day to eat & drink while I guard the eggs against others. they never peck at me or growl. they will let me move the whole nest. I put it in a cardboard box with hay inside of their own nesting boxes. So when time to move I can just pull the whole cardboard box out to move them. but should I move them before they hatch or after? Like will the babies stay under the mom for warmth? We live in Anchorage, AK. And are they to be blocked off so other hens won't get in or so the broody hens won't leave?

okay. I saw your reply of when to move. thank you so much.
The babies will stay under mom but it’s to protect the babies from the other hens and like I said to keep them from falling out or get out and away from the momma which will cause her to leave the eggs and being that you are in Alaska keep the babies in the heated garage until fully feather

Each hen with her babies should be kept separated from other chickens if possible for their protection. The advice you received was to wait until all the eggs under a hen have hatched before you move them, to be sure she doesn't reject the unhatched ones.
thank you so much all for your advise. Wish me luck. BTW this ia my 1st post & I found it easy & very helpful.

I moved my broody to our garage about a week before the egg (only one hatched) hatched.
I use white plastic tubs for nest boxes and I just moved her, the egg and tub to a rabbit hutch in the garage. I did it at night when she was calm.
She was fine.
She had water and chick starter available.
I think you should follow the other posters advice and leave them be until after the eggs hatch though.
My baby chick is 4 weeks now and doing great.
They’re still in the garage though because I don’t feel comfortable putting them outside until baby is fully feathered in a couple of weeks.

Back
Top Bottom