Baby chicks keep dying

The picture you supplied looks like the heat lamp is overhead, is that the case? And yes it is to one side but it's on the long side, so the chicks only have the width of the container to move away from it if they need to, which actually isnt very much. If you had the heat lamp on she short wide of the container they would have more space to move away... I have never reaised chicks this way (why bother when a mother hen does it so well and the chicks are integrated into the flock straight away) so may be way off, but arent you supposed to have the heat source more towards ground level so that the chicks can move towards it or away from it? If its overhead they have nowhere to move to, and esecially not if the container is narrow......

That's what I'm thinking, looking at the location of your heat lamp. It's too high up, needs to be lower to the chicks' level. The chicks are not maintaining the required warmth they need to survive for the first week at 95 degrees, then dropping the temperature to 90 for the 2nd week, 85 the third week... on down to what the outside temperature is when you move them outside to their coop. You need to raise the heat lamp up as they grow older, but for now, it needs to be closer to their level. So, the chicks are dying from not being warm enough.

I have been trying to raise baby chicks, I am buying them from tractor supply, I have the recommended food, bedding, heat lamp, but my chicks start to die after a day or 2 and by 4-5 days they’re all dead. I have the temp between 90-100 and have the lamp on one side so they have a cool off side, I don’t know what I’m doing wrong, I have done so much research and takes to so many people and am told I am doing everything right. Can someone please help I’m tired of seeing them die. I am not getting anymore until I can figure out what I’m doing wrong
We have had a lot of problems with chicks from tractor supply having toxcidia??? Anyway, when we bring home new chicks we give them CORID.. and mix 6 ml with 1 quart of water for 5 days. Repeat again in a week or two. We also use CORID if a chick starts showing any kind of weakness or overly liquid poop and so far, it really helps. We have not lost any since we started using CORID and you can get it at tractor supply in liquid or powder. We use the liquid.

I have been trying to raise baby chicks, I am buying them from tractor supply, I have the recommended food, bedding, heat lamp, but my chicks start to die after a day or 2 and by 4-5 days they’re all dead. I have the temp between 90-100 and have the lamp on one side so they have a cool off side, I don’t know what I’m doing wrong, I have done so much research and takes to so many people and am told I am doing everything right. Can someone please help I’m tired of seeing them die. I am not getting anymore until I can figure out what I’m doing wrong
I
I got chicks last year from tsc and a local feed and seed. 4 of the 6 Tsc chicks died. Feed and seed were fine. I startes mine out in a glass aquarium on my kitchen counter, which set on top of a heating pad. Covered at night to keep snuggly.

It’s very likely they are dying from dehydration and shock. It’s very traumatizing for any baby to be raised away from its momma! I give electrolytes and sometimes even put in my oxygen chamber. Both seem to help, as I only rescue the dying ones the feed shops don’t want, I have about a 60% success rate.

When I hatch chicks I use plastic storage bins with part of the lid cut out, and screw hardware cloth over top to keep the cats out. I use a 60 watt or less bulb at one end of the bin. I put that textured shelf paper on the bottom. No shavings. I spill feed on the floor. The first jug of water gets electrolytes and vitamins added. I dip each chick's beaks in the water and sit them down facing the waterer. Later in the day I will do it again for the slow learners. As they get bigger i put them in an outdoor brooder.

Back
Top Bottom