baby chicks n mama(long post)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by shadust1, Apr 4, 2012.

1. shadust1

shadust1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    loretto, pa
    since all 5 of the 6 chickens we had got killed over the last two summers and the only one left(scruffy-banty hen) is lonely and sitting on eggs like she is broody we decided to get her some babies from tractor supply...so we got 6 chicks on 2/27 and when we brought them home and opened up the door and put them in...she was the happiest chicken that ive ever seen..they all right away ran right over to her..climbed all over her..and she pecked at them like what the heck are u all..lol...but she was clucking away like no tomorrow...and after a couple minutes of them exploring there new mommy she put every last one of them underneath her like she has done this all before...all u see is little heads underneath a wing sticking out...so anyway...as of today(5 weeks later) im happy to say that everyone of them r happy healthy chicks..and getting bigger by the minute..holy smokes...i think everytime i go down they grew an inch...last year when we got our other chicks it seemed like it took weeks for them to get there feathers..but these ones are fully feathered already and r alot bigger then the others were...mama is really teaching them alot and they r learning fast...it is just amazing how the different clucks she has for different stuff...like when she clucks and they all come flying across the yard to see what food she has...and one day she mad a loud clucking sound bc there was a beagle dog from the neighbors yard that scared them and they all ran into the coop..she stayed outside the coop to watch over them and not one of them tried to come outside that coop...they all just stood by the entrance...lol...she is also showing them how to fly up into the tree inside there coop...one day we went down and mama was up on a branch sitting and right below her was one of the babies on the lower branch and another one below it on the ground looking at it like "hey..how did u do that"..lol...i also have a video of mama showing them how to get a dirt bath and then the other day one was right by the fence and it made its own dirt hole and was rolling around in it...so....just shows the difference between them being raised by us human mama's and and actual chicken mama....I WILL NEVER TRY TO RAISE A CHICK BY MYSELF AGAIN...its an amazing thing everyday watching the progress they go through!!! now i just have to name them...lol...

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Agreed! It's known they are healthier, grow faster and have better immunity. It only makes sense they are smarter. And It's an amazing process to watch. I've also done it both ways in the last few years, and will raise any more with a broody if at all possible.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by