Baby chicks outside in cold with hen?

PigeonLady

Songster
11 Years
Jan 3, 2009
Lehighton, PA
My Old English Game Bantam hen disappeared a few weeks ago. Yesterday we discovered her ensconced under our deck with 5 newly-hatched baby chicks. Excavation was necessary to get her out. I don't know how she thought she was going to raised them under there with no water or chick starter, LOL.
At the moment they are all in a box in my kitchen. I am wondering if she might be able to raise them out in the chicken house, with a rubbermaid tote for a nest box, and perhaps a heat lamp just outside the nest box? She has been an excellent mother in the past, but I am worried about the cold - it was 35 degrees out last night here in NE PA. Any advice?

I agree,my silkie hatches out 5 three weeks ago and its been cold here.She lays down and they all go under her to get warm.She is in a small coop all by herself but has had them outdoors when its sunny.today it was in the 40s and windy but she took them out for awhile then back into the coop.I have a heat lamp in there for them to get under if it gets to cold.

If she's being a good mommy and covers them at night I wouldn't worry about it. My hens did great with their babies last spring. If she isn't pulling them under her to snuggle then you'll need to raise them separately.

Good luck!

She is keeping them under her, so I guess they will be OK. I was just worried about them getting enough to eat and drink if they have to stay under there to keep warm. I guess I'm just a worrier. Thanks for the comments.

I thought we were ok letting our silkie take care of her babies but the temps dropped quite a bit yesterday and we did not go out and double check to make sure that she got them all into the coop. She had been doing great at it. Well, they obviously got cold and then did not follow her in and they were all dead this morning. They were lavender cochins too. And I am so angry at myself for not checking. They were in a covered run attached to the coop and she has been doing great taking care, but I guess that they did not follow her in for some reason, maybe got chilled quickly and couldn't. Anyway, I am so upset at myself. If I were you I would just keep a check on them.

marie

Its cold here in Maine, water bowl had a skim of ice on it last night and my first time Mamma is doing great with her 2 week old babies, when they get crying too loud she stops and they crawl under, shes is protecting them from the others and they are being real nice ot the babies...now. I have a box that she goes into with the babies at night. It is working out much better than I planned.

2,4 week olds vs 2, 16 week olds

Today i put our 2, 4 week old chicks with our to 16 week Isa Browns for a play in the back yard for a chance to meet each other, all was well for a while then one of the Isa got a bit pecky towards them it was not bad but i separated her for a bit.
I have built a small coop that looks into the main coop whitch the chicks stay in a daytime.
Should i continue to mix the chicks and hens together just to get them used to each other or kepp the chicks in the separate coop until they are the same size?????????????

I have 2 broody hens that hatched eggs last week. Both are still in their private broody coops, but I plan to let them out in the run very soon. Today, if my husband has anything to say about it.
hmm.png
Those hens have him wrapped around their little fingers!

I won't be the least bit worried about the chicks. Both of the broodies are very experienced, and will take good care of their babies. I'm sure that our weather is a bit warmer than yours right now, but still, if your hen knows what she's doing, everything should be fine. I would be much less confident with a first-time broody.

Back
Top Bottom