Baby Chick's Wing Droops!

IvysAnimals

Songster
Mar 30, 2022
Pennsylvania
I need some advice and help! I've hatched some little baby chicks and the 3rd one that hatched came out of his egg and he wasn't moving much besides his feet shaking a lot. After the rest hatched, I took them out and put them in the brooder. The one chick still wasn't moving much and was laying on his side. I kept trying to get him on his feet and he could a little but if anyone bumped him or anything he would fall on his back or side. I thought it was something with his foot but I noticed that his one wing was drooping to the side he'd fall on... Can anyone help me figure out how to help him? I tried taking a band-aid and kind of taping his wing in place but he didn't like it and it didn't stay on. It helped a little in the beginning but got kind of dry and didn't stick. He falls over and his siblings lay on him and hes in the direct light the whole time and doesn't know how to get up and every time I pick him up I bring him to the water because he must be very thirsty. How can I Help and what might be going on? Here's a picture... Hes the one on his side by the water dish on the right. He was sleeping there so I'll have to update when I get the chance to later of a picture of him on his side.

20220410_080200.jpg

Last edited:
What breed?

i could 100% be wrong, i havent read much about this, but it could be possible its a split wing?
Hes a mixed breed of an unknown White rooster ( My friends I'm hatching for said they were told a Rhode Island Red but it's white and they think a Leghorn ) and the mother is a Rhode Island Red. They have 1 other different chick that is a Black Maran and that's why there's two black babies. I had 3 Maran eggs and one has the fuzzy looking legs like the Maran chicks and some black spots. Their rooster must be mixing quite a lot because some look half and Half and there's 2 others that are fully Rhode Island Reds.

Hes a mixed breed of an unknown White rooster ( My friends I'm hatching for said they were told a Rhode Island Red but it's white and they think a Leghorn ) and the mother is a Rhode Island Red. They have 1 other different chick that is a Black Maran and that's why there's two black babies. I had 3 Maran eggs and one has the fuzzy looking legs like the Maran chicks and some black spots. Their rooster must be mixing quite a lot because some look half and Half and there's 2 others that are fully Rhode Island Reds.
Okay. It could be possible its a split wing i think? @cherrynberry :p

Back
Top Bottom