Baby chicks

pammurphy132

Songster
5 Years
Apr 30, 2018
So i had eggs in incubator and then bought some 1 day old chicks. Was 6 and then 2 were given to me so 8 of them. Only one chicken hatched and there's a big difference in a 1 day old and those that were now 3 weeks when the young one hatched. I kept them separated but the newbie was chirping a lot cause she could hear the others but afraid to put them together. After a week i put the newbie in the girls that were now 4 weeks old and watched carefully. Newbie was so happy to run around with the other girls and the 8 older ones were not bothering newbie. Then i noticed one of the older 8 with her wing out and over the little one. They all huddle around newbie and keep her warm! There is a heat lamp but the broader is bigger! Now when to let them in the bigger coop. They are 5 weeks old and fully feathered but newbie is only 2 weeks old and not feathered

What temperatures do you have right now?
If it is warm enough, the younger one may be fine. Or if the bigger ones cuddle around her and provide warmth.

Are you able to put the heat lamp in a corner of the big coop? Then you could move them all out, and the little one would be able to warm up when she needs to. You could check on them sometimes at night, and when she goes a few says without using the heat lamp, you can remove it.

What temperatures do you have right now?
If it is warm enough, the younger one may be fine. Or if the bigger ones cuddle around her and provide warmth.

Are you able to put the heat lamp in a corner of the big coop? Then you could move them all out, and the little one would be able to warm up when she needs to. You could check on them sometimes at night, and when she goes a few says without using the heat lamp, you can remove it.
70's during the day & 40's & 50's at nite. I do have a heat lamp but in another week it's supposed to get warmer so i think i will wait

That plan will probably work :)
Now have them outside cause the weather is in the 80's but still dips into the 50's at nite. Have this small house until they are large enough to put will my bigger girls but they love being outside. I can put a heat lamp at nite if necessary

Attachments

• IMG_4053.jpeg
    IMG_4053.jpeg
    401.5 KB · Views: 2
Now have them outside cause the weather is in the 80's but still dips into the 50's at nite. Have this small house until they are large enough to put will my bigger girls but they love being outside. I can put a heat lamp at nite if necessary
Sounds good!

You will probably not need to add the heat lamp, because the chicks are older now (hopefully the youngest one has most of her feathers!)

Sounds good!

You will probably not need to add the heat lamp, because the chicks are older now (hopefully the youngest one has most of her feathers!)
The youngest one is almost fully feathered but stays with the big girls. I have to put them in every nite because they don't know enough to go in and they perch on a wall that i made for them outside. The other morning they popped the door on their coop open and were mingling with the 4 older birds and no fighting so i guess they can be together. Thank you for posting

The youngest one is almost fully feathered but stays with the big girls. I have to put them in every nite because they don't know enough to go in and they perch on a wall that i made for them outside. The other morning they popped the door on their coop open and were mingling with the 4 older birds and no fighting so i guess they can be together. Thank you for posting
Thank you for updating. It's nice to know how things go, especially when they are going well :)

Back
Top Bottom