Hatching
Mar 8, 2015
Bedfordshire UK
Hi Chicken keepers

Hope your all well
1f60a.png

I'm new to this so apologies if i ain't doing this correct
1f648.png

I just have a quick question on breeding my chickens.
I don't really want to get a cockerel as It may be a bit to loud in my neighbourhood.

I was just wondering if Ther is a way I can go somewhere and bring my chicken so it can do its thing with a cockerel and then I can get chicks.

Is Their anything around of this sort and if i can do it ??

Thanks

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! I too am in the UK! I think from what you are saying this would not be a feasible idea. When introducing chickens to each other it has to be done over a period of time they can't be just put together for the cockerel to do his business. Also there is no guarantee that one mating would make your hens eggs fertilized. They mate many times but not all eggs are fertile.
Is your hen broody? If she is not she would not sit on the eggs and incubate them, you would need an incubator to incubate them your self. You can buy fertilized eggs and place them under a broody or in the incubator if you want chicks.

Good luck and hope you enjoy BYC, everyone here to help and very friendly :frow

Thank you Yorkshire coop for your advice.

I think I was getting a bit ahead of myself and thinking that they would just mate instantly. But yes your right in what your saying.

I wouldn't mind getting fertilised eggs and then incubating them myself. But the only neagtive I feel to that is I would prefer having chicks from my own chickens. Rather than from someone else's breed and chickens.

Something so satisfying to know that my chickens are going to have Ther own babies. If that makes sense lol

1f425.png
thanks

I'm sorry but I can't seem to come up with a way to achieve what you want (chicks from your own hens) without keeping a rooster. I know breeding dogs is different, you send them to the stud and pick the female up a couple days later.

Yeah it would be nice to have chicks but it would be even more exta nice for my hens to give chicks.

I guess the only way is to get a cockerel

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
I'm glad you joined us.

You've received some good advice already! Good luck with your flock.

Back
Top Bottom