Baby Duck! Help!

Dcasperlve

In the Brooder
Apr 15, 2022
So I'm on day 28 and he had a hard time hatching out, I helped him pretty much the past 2 days, he scoots along holds his head for a few seconds but that's all, plus his eyes aren't open. He squits when he opens them but that's all. He has alot of spunk and peeps very loudly. He technically came out completely from his egg about 11am this morning. It's now 10pm almost 12 hours later and his eyes aren't open and not holding his head up, just wants to curl and cuddle. What should I do?

Is his yolk all the way absorbed into his belly? When they come out is usually when it is. I am no expert. Just remembering what I read. If it isn't, that may be why he is yawning and sleeping.

So I'm on day 28 and he had a hard time hatching out, I helped him pretty much the past 2 days, he scoots along holds his head for a few seconds but that's all, plus his eyes aren't open. He squits when he opens them but that's all. He has alot of spunk and peeps very loudly. He technically came out completely from his egg about 11am this morning. It's now 10pm almost 12 hours later and his eyes aren't open and not holding his head up, just wants to curl and cuddle. What should I do?
It’s possible because of help he may have got goo from inside the egg that hardens when assisting. Try gently washing his eyes with a warm water cloth.
Some little ones take 24 hours after assisting to gain strength so he may just need extra time

It’s possible because of help he may have got goo from inside the egg that hardens when assisting. Try gently washing his eyes with a warm water cloth.
Some little ones take 24 hours after assisting to gain strength so he may just need extra time
I did clean his eyes and nothing yet, he keeps moving around in the incubator I'm afraid he's gonna hurt himself. Tomorrow I'm moving my set up around because I'm still waiting for it's sibling to hatch. I'll check again in 8 hours before I go to school, to see if it's ok. Thank you

Is his yolk all the way absorbed into his belly? When they come out is usually when it is. I am no expert. Just remembering what I read. If it isn't, that may be why he is yawning and sleeping.
Yes the yoke is absorbed completely he just seems like a toddler that's too tired

Could you you send a photo? If he hatched that recently, he may just be sleepy still.
Since you assisted, did you hit any blood vessels or cause any bleed? That could cause him to lose a little energy.
Is he now in the brooder, if so, what is the temp in there?

Also welcome! You joined a great forum, hope you'll find BYC to be a helpful/supportive community!
:welcome

Could you you send a photo? If he hatched that recently, he may just be sleepy still.
Since you assisted, did you hit any blood vessels or cause any bleed? That could cause him to lose a little energy.

Attachments

• IMG_20220415_172227_501.jpg
    IMG_20220415_172227_501.jpg
    411.3 KB · Views: 3
He is still in the incubator because my house is old and I'm scared I'll short my house out trying to plug the incubator and heat lamp in together I'm actually going to try n fix it after school/college classes. I think the temp is at 98 to right now.

Back
Top Bottom