Baby duck keeps falling...Help!!!

You know one thing that some people forget to do when monitoring animals and their health is to watch if its using the bathroom. As long as its eating, drinking, and the pipes are flushing you can keep fighting.

Another option you can do is to grow your own yeast at home now. You can do searches on 'Yeast Mother' on the internet.

Right now in the stores near me, you can't buy yeast right now. Its always gone. This will help you conserve resources.

Could you set her in a brooder with a more rough floor so she can grip it, seems like she is slipping on the plastic. I see she is a crested, which are prone to neurological problems. Do you know of anytime she may have hurt her head? Was she doing this when you first acquired her?

I put a towel in the container under the pine shavings now, to give her a better grip. She is still falling. She wasn’t doing this for the first 6 days that I had her. I don’t think she has hit her head or anything?? I noticed a few days ago that she was stumbling, and falling more. I thought it was just because they were just growing so fast, and got more clumsy. But as the day went on, I realized that wasn’t the case.

She is still going to the bathroom, eating, and drinking water. I help her with the food and water, because she’s so unbalanced, but she still has a good appetite.

Maybe hobbling her legs together (like a splint) would help? It does look like a niacin deficiency to me. My duckling looked just like that and it had a diagnosed severe niacin deficiency. Get the B complex, and try to find some Purina Flock Raiser. Chick starter just doesn't work well. Can you get some grippy shelf liner and put it down on top of the wood chips? That should help. I do agree with the crested duck issues too. They have a lot of problems

I put a towel in the container under the pine shavings now, to give her a better grip. She is still falling. She wasn’t doing this for the first 6 days that I had her. I don’t think she has hit her head or anything?? I noticed a few days ago that she was stumbling, and falling more. I thought it was just because they were just growing so fast, and got more clumsy. But as the day went on, I realized that wasn’t the case.
That's how niacin deficiencies come on. Are your capsules flush free?

Here is another video of her tonight. She doesn’t seem to be getting better and we are on day 3

If your not seeing any results on the niacin capsules you got. I would suggest really going with the Vitamin B complex. It has a HIGH dose of niacin and other b vitamins that she might be lacking that could help her get on her feet faster. Without a high dose over 200 you might not see any improvement. The only thing I have seen that can really push that type of level is the liquid cattle inject-able from tsc or online that @MasterOfClucker gave you a link to. I do a soupy mash for my ducklings with it in it so that I don't have to try and dribble it orally into the tiny bills. I waste less of it and the ducklings get more in them.

@casportpony Also listed that, that product also has other things that can help in it. Because there are other deficiencies that can happen with niacin deficiency that can make it occur. Without that you may not see any change in your duckling because she might be short on some other things too now.

Back
Top Bottom