Baby duck walking on it's "elbows"???

dinomom

Chirping
11 Years
Apr 23, 2011
Hello, my baby duck just started walking on it's elbows in a wobbly sort of way. I've read this could be a niacin deficiency in their diet. They have only had mashed chicken feed pellets since they hatched. So I guess that's what it is. They are 3 wks old, how is the best way to treat this and what is the best pellet food to feed them from now on. Also I've heard to use brewer's yeast, where do you get that and how do you give it to them? Thanks so much!

What breed of duck is it? Some are more prone to minor leg problems and will do this weird walk for a few days- and then it will go again as suddeny as it appeared with no treatment. With others - it can be a sign of a deficiency in the diet.

It can be a sign of weakness/ deficiency - but can also be casued by a slipped tendon. Dietary causes are much easier to fix. Brewers yeast can just be added to the diet by spreading over the food.

Chick Saver will not have the amount of niacin needed to help a duck that is already exhibiting leg issues due to a niacin deficiency. Brewers yeast or a vitamin B mix is what the duck would specifically need.

We have Rouens, last night I dissolved 100mg of Niacin into their water. Should I also get Brewer's yeast for on top of their food? Also, what is the best pellet to feed them on a daily basis? Thanks very much!

I have never supplemented any of my ducks with Niacin- but only a multivitamin - but I have read that there are two different kinds in capsule form. You could do a search on here to find out more about which is better to give them.

Rouens- like pekins are a big fast growing bird- so it would be best to keep the supplements going until they are around 8 weeks old- or living outside where they can forage.

I've read that there's 2 types of brewer's yeast. If so I was going to go to GNC tonight to buy some, is it in powder form? You just sprinkle some on top of the food? Or is it more technical than that? Also our local feed store only carries chicken pellets. Where can I get duck food and what specific type should I get? Sorry for all the questions, I'm still learning and I want to have healthy, happy little ducks:D..Thanks so much!

Back
Top Bottom