Baby duckling found

Khartlaub

Chirping
Jun 4, 2021
So a friend of a friend found this little baby Wood duckling, I'd say under 2 weeks for sure, running around by himself for a day or so by his work, with no mom or siblings around. They couldn't find anyone or anyplace to take so we offered because we have experience. We already have blind rescue Wood duck who could use a sight buddy her breed to befriend, as the other Khacki Campbells we bought to be her buddies, go off together and leave her alone.
I dont know if this baby is a boy or girl yet, will go to the place where they found him/her to see if we spot his/her family, or go to a lake to see. Sometimes duck families will pull a duckling in, thinking it's theirs.

My issue, is I know they are very social creatures, but with the Avian flu I just heard about, this baby will be lonely. I'm anxious to allow this baby to bond with my other Wood duck, but do I quarantine? How long? And what do I do to keep her from getting lonely?

Usually I quarantine for 30 days, and I would definitely do that with the specter of avian flu hanging around. I don't even fill my feeders for the wild birds anymore.

Some people put mirrors and/or stuffed animals in with their lone babies.

Best of luck with your foundling!

Back
Top Bottom