Baby Duckling Help Please

annroberts54

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 25, 2011
2 days ago I received a shipment of straight run Runner Ducklings. 1 was DOA and I saw immediately that 1 was not doing all that well. It was a bit smaller and less able to get up on its legs and move forward. So I made an ICU box and have kept it there to help it get stronger. It is obvious that 1 of its eyes will never open or be normal in any way. Either it is going to stay fused or perhaps it was injured in transport by one of the other ducklings. And so far it has not grown as much as the other 6. But it is eating watered down feed and drinking quite well. At first I had to hold it in my hand with the feed/water in the other but now it is getting to the bowls by itself. But it is still not ambulating as well as the others nor is it growing as fast.

My question is, if it lives will it be able to function with only one eye? They eventually will be allowed to free range although they will have a secure pen and house available at all times. Is there a good chance it will start to get stronger and grow enough to catch up with the others? I am putting it back into the group brooder when it seems they are all at a calm moment. If runner ducklings ever are calm! But even then they tend to shun her a bit. But at least she is not forgetting that she is part of their flock. I will keep putting her back in with them for longer periods as I see she can handle the stress of the rowdier group.

Any advice would be appreciated. Especially if someone has had experience with a "special needs" duck!!

Have you tried giving her electrolytes? Are you giving everyone niacin supplements?
If her only problem is having one eye she will most likely be fine. I've seen blind birds that have done a okay job of keeping up with the flock.

2 days ago I received a shipment of straight run Runner Ducklings. 1 was DOA and I saw immediately that 1 was not doing all that well. It was a bit smaller and less able to get up on its legs and move forward. So I made an ICU box and have kept it there to help it get stronger. It is obvious that 1 of its eyes will never open or be normal in any way. Either it is going to stay fused or perhaps it was injured in transport by one of the other ducklings. And so far it has not grown as much as the other 6. But it is eating watered down feed and drinking quite well. At first I had to hold it in my hand with the feed/water in the other but now it is getting to the bowls by itself. But it is still not ambulating as well as the others nor is it growing as fast.

My question is, if it lives will it be able to function with only one eye? They eventually will be allowed to free range although they will have a secure pen and house available at all times. Is there a good chance it will start to get stronger and grow enough to catch up with the others? I am putting it back into the group brooder when it seems they are all at a calm moment. If runner ducklings ever are calm! But even then they tend to shun her a bit. But at least she is not forgetting that she is part of their flock. I will keep putting her back in with them for longer periods as I see she can handle the stress of the rowdier group.

Any advice would be appreciated. Especially if someone has had experience with a "special needs" duck!!
I would get some Niacin or brewers yeast and start giving it to all your ducklings, and poultry vitamins to your special needs one at the moment. 150 meg of plain niacin into one gallon of water then into waterer's they should have this daily till 12 weeks old. or 1 Tb of Brewers yeast sprinkled onto their feed daily. have you tried using a saline eye wash on the lil ones eye? and also their is a product called Veterycin spray which would be good also because you can spray it right into the eyes and it is for wounds and or infections, maybe if you can get the eye lid softened up she/he will be able to open the eye and you can tell what's going on, hopefully it may have gotten peck in transit if so might still be okay. Be very careful putting the lil one back in a rowdy bunch of healthy ducklings she may get tromped on if you could put some kind of barrier betwen this one and the rest where they could see each other but it wouldn't get stepped on or kept from food and water that might be best till it is much stronger. I like to use the plastic poultry fence for things like this.another thing you could try while this lil one is gaining strength is putting just one of your ducklings in with it, watch to see which one seems to be most laid back, they just seem to do so much better with a companion. just not so many at once.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions. I have used electrolytes from the very beginning. But didn't know about the niacin or brewer's yeast. I will get some when I go out today and start immediately. I will try gently dabbing the eye area with a saline rinse. She lets me hold her quite nicely so I don't expect to have to much trouble doing that. I will keep checking back for more suggestions and I will update when I know how things are going.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have used electrolytes from the very beginning. But didn't know about the niacin or brewer's yeast. I will get some when I go out today and start immediately. I will try gently dabbing the eye area with a saline rinse. She lets me hold her quite nicely so I don't expect to have to much trouble doing that. I will keep checking back for more suggestions and I will update when I know how things are going.
Thanks we always like to know how they are doing. Hoping you see improvements quickly
fl.gif

Update on Buttercup. She seems to be making slow but steady progress. I got the Brewer's yeast in powdered form, with no additives of any sort. I sprinkle that on all their food. I am still using the electrolyte solution for their water. I am keeping her with the others during rest time but still try to get her into her own box when the feeding/watering frenzy's start. They don't mean to but they can easily knock her over or at least out of their way. Alone, she can eat and drink all she wants and she does seem to be doing that pretty well. She is only about half as big as the rest and hopefully she will continue to grow and someday catch up. I rinsed her eye several times a day for 2 days now and I can see there is no hope of regaining the eye so i am going to stop doing that at this point. She will always be my special little duck and hopefully she will live to be a ripe old age here on the homestead.

Hi there. Why do you think there's no hope of her ever opening her eye? I just wonder, I think I remember reading a thread a few months back about a duckling with an eye issue, but eventually that eye opened, if I recall correctly. And of course, I have no direct experience with anything remotely like what you've written about. I think it's great that you'll take good care of your duck. :)

Update on Buttercup. She seems to be making slow but steady progress. I got the Brewer's yeast in powdered form, with no additives of any sort. I sprinkle that on all their food. I am still using the electrolyte solution for their water. I am keeping her with the others during rest time but still try to get her into her own box when the feeding/watering frenzy's start. They don't mean to but they can easily knock her over or at least out of their way. Alone, she can eat and drink all she wants and she does seem to be doing that pretty well. She is only about half as big as the rest and hopefully she will continue to grow and someday catch up. I rinsed her eye several times a day for 2 days now and I can see there is no hope of regaining the eye so i am going to stop doing that at this point. She will always be my special little duck and hopefully she will live to be a ripe old age here on the homestead.
Happy to hear she is making progress!! Great news
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom