Baby Duckling is weak please help :(

DuckieLover2014

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 31, 2014
Missouri
Hello Everyone,
I'm very new to this site. I have 3 Ducks. 1 Female 2 males. 2 are Pekins and other is a mollard.

All ducks are about 6 months old. :)
My female start laying eggs around 4.5 months old. The first ones that are ' fertile" are now hathing
The very first piped 3 days ago. His egg was super small so I wondered was he going to make it.

He piped 3 days ago. Sat in that stage since. No shaking or rocking just peeps here and there. He pushed a spot out on the outter shell and that was it. So after a good 24 hours of doing nothing i helped assist him. Come to discover the membrains were super hard. I moved him the the bator to a container with wet waem towles and a temp gauge. After i had removed pieces of the shell he tried to move around but could tell he was squashed. Remembering this egg was super tiny.

At the end of the hatching journey my sweet little duck needed help to get out completly. He has his umbilical cord still attached. It has been 1 day and 10 hours. Is this normal to still be attached?

Its turning white with slight brown and is almost dried up. My concerns is that his bottom area where its connected is all goopy and dried. I'm worried he wont be able to fully pass his stools. How and what do i do to help this area? Can it turn to a infection or bacteria and make him ill?

Also when he hatched he was soo very tiny. 8 hours later still unable to hold up his head or stand on his feet. His legs were doing the splits.

Today he is holding up his head much better but still wobbly. He is crawling along pulling him self to where he needs to go. But cant stand on both feet . Its breaking my heart. He has showed soo much progress since he hatched but still so tiny and so weak. All he does is sleep. He acts clueless to water. Im very worried for him.
Any help and suppert is so much appreciated. He is my baby. I set with him day and night and im scared to sleep. Scared to leave his side.

I hace pictures but i do not know how to upload. Please help me out. Any advice will help me out. Has
Anyone seen a fresh hatched duckling be weak and not want to eat or drink?

Update...
My little duck had what appears to be a stool. I have him on my chest with warm fleece blankets and a heating lamp over us to monitor the temp. He/she release a white with green stool. How did he get this out when his bottom is all yucky being his umbilical cord is still attached??

Is this color stool normal??

Also how long can he go with no fluids? I have read the yolk will get them up to 72 hours. He is already at 34 hours out. Still showing no intrest in food or water.

His head is still wobbly. Legs still wobbly also

This is his cord and whats left of it.. Do I leave it be? Can it develop bacteria? Is this normal looking for being 30 hours old?

Thanks again in advance for any support and advice my Dear Friends..

This is our little Pumpkin at 30 hours old. He/she has came a long way since his/her condition at hatching time.

My main concerns are he sleeps non stop awake for very short periods of time. Still very wobbly but can now hold up his head and pushes along to move around. Legs still weak. Still no signs of intrest in water or food.

Back
Top Bottom