Baby ducks

Tracyjean

In the Brooder
May 21, 2022
I have never own a duck what do I need to do besides food and water and heat lamp do I need to give them any kind of medicine or anything?

First off congrats on being a duck owner !!
Can you give us a run down how old is the duck
How many do you have? What type do you own ?
I take extra care to make sure my ducklings grow to be healthy and strong with no leg issues
I can’t get duck feed where I am so I use chicken starter (Non medicated ) for 2 weeks then start to switch over to grower feed being on full grower by 3 weeks
I use nutritional yeast 1tbs per cup of feed till 10-12 weeks I also sprinkle it on my adult feed a few times a week
I add vitamin B complex 1ml to 4 cups of water here and there for an extra boost
I start with a small chicken water dish for first few days then I use a deeper dish so they can dunk their heads to clear the eyes and nose ( the beak will grow a lot in the first 3 days )
To keep the babies from getting wet at an early age I cut holes in the lids of the water dish always use warm to room temp water never cold
I start to bath my babies at day 3 in warm water for 5-10 mins. I dry them with paper towel as it absorbs most of the water then put them with their heat and they preen and start using the oil gland
I don’t start treats till week 2 as I can’t get chick grit here and need to wait till they are able to eat the next grit
Then I start with peas or cut up greens
I also take them out if weather is good for short times to enjoy grass
I always leave a bowl of grit out for them
Feed and water is 24/7
I use puppy pads the first week or two As I had a bad experience with shavings and a 3 day old getting a little piece stuck up his nose for 5 days
He had water deep enough to dunk and 2 baths a day and still took 5 days. His nares were so small I could get it out
Many start with shavings and it’s fine
He is fine now and 6 months but now I just wait till bigger
With heat lamps many run 90 For a week
I don’t I watch my ducklings and every 2 days they would move further from the centre of the heat so I would lift it and they would go back to the middle
Just watch your ducklings they will tell you if they are to hot or cold by how they lay
Also it’s a must to have a space in the brooder that is heat free if they need to get out of heat they need a space to do so
Hope this helps

I have two one yellow, one black and yellow I don't know what kind I got them from tractor supply and their about two weeks old. Do I need to give them bath I got a small bowl in their for them to stand in and dunk their head. And I am feeding them chicks starter nonmedicaided cuz we have a bunch chickens.

I have two one yellow, one black and yellow I don't know what kind I got them from tractor supply and their about two weeks old. Do I need to give them bath I got a small bowl in their for them to stand in and dunk their head. And I am feeding them chicks starter nonmedicaided cuz we have a bunch chickens.
You can start to switch them to grower in between 2-3 weeks. I do 1/4 to 3/4 then 1/2-1/2 then 3/4-1/4 every 2 days
Ducks love bath time so yes go ahead and bath those babies. You will enjoy watching them swim , dive and play
They won’t need much for heat now
In fact my 2 week old are not even using the heat unless after a bath then as they dry they do
I don’t have a heat lamp in there anymore just a heat plate and a electric heater I keep at 22 as it kicks on when the rooms gets lower then that.
After a bath I turn it to 24 for 10 mins as they dry off

You can start to switch them to grower in between 2-3 weeks. I do 1/4 to 3/4 then 1/2-1/2 then 3/4-1/4 every 2 days
Ducks love bath time so yes go ahead and bath those babies. You will enjoy watching them swim , dive and play
They won’t need much for heat now
In fact my 2 week old are not even using the heat unless after a bath then as they dry they do
I don’t have a heat lamp in there anymore just a heat plate and a electric heater I keep at 22 as it kicks on when the rooms gets lower then that.
After a bath I turn it to 24 for 10 mins as they dry off
Do they need to be wormed any medicine for any thing to prevent anything

Back
Top Bottom