Baby female Rhode Island Red has a bald spot on chest

ElfenLied89

Crowing
May 30, 2023
South Carolina
Hey there. As the title suggests, our family has a Rhode Island Red we got from Tractor Supply about a week ago. We have a total of 7 chicks including her. She has adequate heating, space, food, water, and she gets plenty of attention from my older kids and myself. She is held for a few minutes a few times a day. Today, we noticed her feathers were pretty much missing from her chest. Right where her front chest meets her neck. Is this normal? She is, I am going off the age they stated when we bought her, around a week old.

Yes, a picture would really help. One thing I can think of that often looks like feathers missing on the chest, is actually on the crop. The crop area isn't feathered the same as the rest of the body. When the crop is filled and expands, it stretches the skin, creating gaps in the feathering. It can really look like patches of missing feathers, when it's just stretched skin. You can do an experiment and take the chicks' food away after they go to bed, and check this chick's chest area in the morning before you bring the food back, when its crop is empty.

Hey there. As the title suggests, our family has a Rhode Island Red we got from Tractor Supply about a week ago. We have a total of 7 chicks including her. She has adequate heating, space, food, water, and she gets plenty of attention from my older kids and myself. She is held for a few minutes a few times a day. Today, we noticed her feathers were pretty much missing from her chest. Right where her front chest meets her neck. Is this normal? She is, I am going off the age they stated when we bought her, around a week old.

received_622351242918716.jpeg

Yes, a picture would really help. One thing I can think of that often looks like feathers missing on the chest, is actually on the crop. The crop area isn't feathered the same as the rest of the body. When the crop is filled and expands, it stretches the skin, creating gaps in the feathering. It can really look like patches of missing feathers, when it's just stretched skin. You can do an experiment and take the chicks' food away after they go to bed, and check this chick's chest area in the morning before you bring the food back, when its crop is empty.
I posted a picture if it helps. Recently became a chicken mom so I know nothing and am learning as I go. The bird in question is named Ember.

Back
Top Bottom