Baby Girl still got diaherre and some green poo

no she still has some diaherre... she only ate so far an egg, some rice .
WE had to go to other town for an appointment. so was gone over 4 hr. kept her in bathroom.
got back she wanted out... she tried to go room to room and kept trying to find a way to jump on to something "high" I had her on a top of a nice sized tote with a towel and newpaper..before I left she kept trying to do featherdusting motion for a while. She misses her feather dusting
I am sure... they usually feather dust under a big new toolshed that stays dry.... for fenced in a big area with scrren and lattice that only they can acess from the big big run....
I left on the floor plenty of water and some peanuts and pellets. looks like she ate no more... while we were gone... I had to coax her to drink...when we got back
turned off bath light after dark, all but nite light. she jumped on to a higher area, a small chest of drawers in the bathroom, S
she was trying to prob figure out how to get outside.
made her a "roost" to sit on. It is laying on the chest of drawers. she just stands up so far... at least she has settled down....
I JUST WISH IT WAS NOT SO COLD OUTSIDE.....

Slow digestion causes bacterial enteritis. Coccidiosis and intestinal worms can also cause enteritis, and prolonged presence in the intestines causes irreversible damage. Don't feed rice or too high protein for right now. A chicken drinking less in cold weather will cause dehydration, especially when electrolytes and vitamins are not regularly supplemented in water ( 3 days a week ). After a regiment of antibiotics, gut flora is disrupted so it is highly beneficial to supplement probiotic dispersible powder for a day or two the first few days after the last antibiotic treatment, and once a week on a regular basis. Lactobacillus prevents pathogenic gram-negative bacteria from colonizing the gastrointestinal tract. In the case of your bird, give food stuffs that are easy to digest ( buttermilk soaked bread in small amounts, warm water moistened crumbles/pellets, and withhold scratch grains for right now.). Make sure the crop is emptying properly. It should be empty in the morning before feeding.

Tylan is not a good solution to bacterial enteritis and is generally used for respiratory infections. Neomycin, Lincomycin-Spectinomycin (L-S 50), are often used to beat bacterial enteritis. Both can often be found at local feed stores and require 1 tsp per gallon of water for 5 days with Neomycin powder, and 2 grams (about 1 tsp) per gallon of water for 5-7 days with L-S 50. Like all water solubles, the bird must be drinking on its own to benefit from the treatment.

Hydrate the bird first by supplying vitamins-electrolytes labeled for poultry for 2 days, and for one of those days add a water dispersible probiotic like Probios at 1 tsp per gallon of water. Feed what I mentioned and see if there's improvement in 2 -3 days. Depending on whether your birds were dewormed with the proper dosage of Valbazen (Albendazole), and the length of time since the last dose in your particular environment they live in, determines whether or not intestinal worms, or even coccidiosis could be the culprit for intestinal problems. I supplement all year long and rarely see problems, but Winter and Spring/ humidity can provide an environment for nasty microorganisms, endo/ectoparasite populations and their vectors to increase. That is why a strong immune system is important.

I have been giving probiotics and vitmins since she was a chick....
But they dont always drink it... esp if they find puudles or snow etc......
UPDATE

took Baby girl to same vet place as before 40 miles one way.... but diff VET now there. At least she was not the only chicken there.....Couldnt believe a lady was waiting to leave that had seen the vet for her hen......WOW wow....
He looked at her stool but said float test was necesary.... HUM.......
well he gave her a shot of Baytril then a package of oral suspension (35.00) forjust the take home of VERAFLOX.....
DO YALL think he knows what he is doing when it comes to chickens????
I need to know what yall think so I can give her a dose of Veraflox..>>>>.esp if it is worms
ALSO WHY would I mix up a whole gallon for one bird>>> the four of them dont even drink 1 gallon a day......
thanks yall

I did the Oxy stuff for a day.. but i know she was really drinking much.....so then another day did Tylan injection.....then read Tylan was for respiratory.....so no better decided to make a vet appointment

Last edited:
He gave her a shot of Baytril, so it's probably a good idea to give the Veraflox as he suggested.
big_smile.png

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom