Baby Goat Incoming!

Blue eyes are the icing on the cake. I have blue eyed goats, but ones that have milk behind it, not just pretty eyes. Eyes don't put milk in the bucket. Nigerian Dwarves (the only breed of goat allowed to have blue eyes when AGS or ADGA registered) are a dairy breed. Milking ability, not looks, are the priority.

Exactly

Honestly I wouldn't mind forking out the cash for a couple of good does for my daughter but I can't find anything that even vaguely impresses me thus far. The does I had as a kid were gorgeous and the kids so stinkin cute. But, people just don't have a clue how to cull anymore.

Honestly I wouldn't mind forking out the cash for a couple of good does for my daughter but I can't find anything that even vaguely impresses me thus far. The does I had as a kid were gorgeous and the kids so stinkin cute. But, people just don't have a clue how to cull anymore.

Some people will wether bucks and also sell does without registrations to get bad goats out of the registered gene pool. Those are usually the very good breeders that care about bettering the breed (and not wanting bad animals with their herd name attached). But some folks only see dollar signs. I wethered all bucklings last year, didn't want to sell a single one with a registration. They just weren't wowing me.

What breed are you looking for? I can assure you that stellar individuals can be had from any breed. A bit pricier than run of the mill, but not too bad usually when you get them as kids.

To be honest I'm currently on the fence. I was so sure I wanted Nigerians since they would be easier for my daughter and have high quality milk. But now I'm considering crossing with a good Nigerian buck. Before half my herd of Boers (I sold out all my goats and all but one of my hair sheep when I went to college) were beautifully pedigreed does but now all I care about is health, milk and personality which was true of my commercial does too I suppose. I only sold one of my bucks for breeding and when I saw him as a three year old I couldnt have been prouder. Now my thought is which breed would be best to cross with a Nigerian . That has been rolling around in my head.

To be honest I'm currently on the fence. I was so sure I wanted Nigerians since they would be easier for my daughter and have high quality milk. But now I'm considering crossing with a good Nigerian buck. Before half my herd of Boers (I sold out all my goats and all but one of my hair sheep when I went to college) were beautifully pedigreed does but now all I care about is health, milk and personality which was true of my commercial does too I suppose. I only sold one of my bucks for breeding and when I saw him as a three year old I couldnt have been prouder. Now my thought is which breed would be best to cross with a Nigerian . That has been rolling around in my head.

Crossing with a Nubian of good milking lines would best preserve the high quality milk. Nubians have a higher butterfat milk. Not quite as high as Nigerians. Nubians can be loud, however. Toggenbergs are known to have milk that tastes...off. I've never personally tasted it, but have heard many accounts. A Nigerian Dwarf and Alpine cross has the potential to be a milking powerhouse, and doesn't have the silly airplane ears of a Nubian cross. I have a friend who breeds all her first freshener Alpines to a Nigerian Dwarf buck, just to make their introduction into kidding especially easy.

Crossing with a Nubian of good milking lines would best preserve the high quality milk. Nubians have a higher butterfat milk. Not quite as high as Nigerians. Nubians can be loud, however. Toggenbergs are known to have milk that tastes...off. I've never personally tasted it, but have heard many accounts. A Nigerian Dwarf and Alpine cross has the potential to be a milking powerhouse, and doesn't have the silly airplane ears of a Nubian cross. I have a friend who breeds all her first freshener Alpines to a Nigerian Dwarf buck, just to make their introduction into kidding especially easy.

I love the airplane ears and the mellow nubian temperament! Lol. I have something against alpines I've just never seen a single one that impressed me. My dairy herd was lamanchas (only a dozen does) and I think of them as being pretty darn near perfect. But can you imagine the kids of a lamanchaxnigerian haha!

Just a comment on Toggenburg milk flavor. Many Toggs produce milk of excellent flavor. I have owned some that did. But a lot of Toggs produce milk that is absolutely undrinkable and this characteristic is hereditary. Meaning you can breed it out. I had Toggs for many years and I had heard about bad flavored milk from Toggenburgs but I had no idea what people were talking about. The milk from my Toggs was great. Then I boarded some Toggs for a neighbor. One morning I put some of the milk from the boarders on my cereal. Let's just say that was a once in a lifetime experience. Meaning once in a lifetime was enough. It did wake me up though and the calves didn't seem to mind it.

This is last years baby buck. The one we are trying to sell. His fathers mama had great milking. We tried selling him over and over but nobody is biting. I think he is a stunner and don't see what the problem is?

Also its not about the money for us its a hobby. We just need to find a way to sell them or we wont be breeding them anymore. But I really want to breed them again and have little babies!

This is last years baby buck. The one we are trying to sell. His fathers mama had great milking. We tried selling him over and over but nobody is biting. I think he is a stunner and don't see what the problem is?

Are you able to prove his sire's dam was a good milker? Is his mother a good milker? How many pounds of milk does she produce a day (a pint of milk is a pound)? If you don't milk the dam, then you can't provide any proof he is from a good milking line, so he should just be wethered. There are too many bad bucks out there, anyway.

Back
Top Bottom