Baby guinea didn't absorb egg yoke all the way

Cattnip

In the Brooder
Aug 14, 2021
A mother guinea hatched a clutch of eggs in the field yesterday, but one of the guinea keets couldn't walk very well. It had some yucky stuff sticking out of its back end. Last night, it was wiggling a lot and it started to bleed. I put turmeric on the guinea to stop the bleeding but I don't know what I am supposed to do to help the guinea absorb the rest of its egg. Is there any way to help it or is it going to die? I held it all night to keep it warm.

A mother guinea hatched a clutch of eggs in the field yesterday, but one of the guinea keets couldn't walk very well. It had some yucky stuff sticking out of its back end. Last night, it was wiggling a lot and it started to bleed. I put turmeric on the guinea to stop the bleeding but I don't know what I am supposed to do to help the guinea absorb the rest of its egg. Is there any way to help it or is it going to die? I held it all night to keep it warm.
Personally I would cull it.

Oh no! Sounds like you are working so hard to save it! If you search backyard chickens for “unabsorbed yolk sac” you will find a ton of posts as it’s a common condition. Most will keep the chick in the incubator in a cup until the yolk absorbs. You could also post on the diseases and emergencies forum. The only keet I’ve had hatch with an unabsorbed yolk sac was also from a broody hatch (last year), and it also bled. The keet was too injured too survive so I ended up putting it out of its suffering. Best of luck with your keet.

Despite all efforts to keep the little baby alive, she sadly passed away a few hours ago :'(

Thank you all for helping me ♥

Back
Top Bottom