Baby Guinea Pig Care?

Mattemma

Crowing
10 Years
Aug 12, 2009
Our girl had 3 babies last night.2 survived. Been reading up on baby care as we were not expecting this. Anyone on who can tell me what to do and what not to from personal experience.

Going out to get some fresh veggies and more covers to use for bedding. They sure are cute.Kids already named them.Me, I am wondering who I can give them too!

Last edited:
Their mother will take care of them at first. be sure she has a good variety of foods,pellets,greens,carrots,hay. The babys will start eating these also in a day or two. They really are quiet easy to raise.

Thanks! I read parsley is good for them,but not grown ups.Will it be an issue if the mom eats some? I just got home from the grocery and RJ(the one with white) had got out of one cage. I found him behind a rosemary plant. So thankful the cat did not get him.I moved them to another cage,but the bars are the same so I moved the cage into my dd's bedroom just in case. Go figure the cat was sleeping under the bed covers,and I locked her in with the piggies. I have taken a dozen pictures,but none do justice to their cuteness. Quite a nice holiday suprise for the family.

38921_040.jpg

I think a baby guinea pig is about the cutest thing there is!

We've had four litters and they pretty much raise themselves. They nurse mama and we just keep plenty of regular GP food and throw in fresh kale, carrots, tomatoes, whatever we have on hand. They grow so fast.

Daddy was neutered last week.
wink.png
If that's an option for you, my vet charged only $45 (basically the cost of a cat neuter).

Good luck with them!

ETA: Mama can be pregnant again within 48 hours of giving birth.
barnie.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom