Baby Kitty

What a lot of these spay practices do is instead of using a suture to tie off vessels, they tie off the vessel itself. That's what they mean when they say the vessel was tied back on itself. It's the same as taking a hose and just tying a knot in it. Usually, this works very well and helps keeps the cost of surgery low (surure can be expensive!)

So I would say based on the necropsy that what the vet told you happened is exactly what happened. The left pedicle (ovarian artery) came untied and she bled out. This doesn't happen very often and I'm very sorry you had to experience this.

Just wanted to add that I'm a vet student, and we are taught both ways to spay. I quite like the method that was used on your little kitty, but both methods do have risks, unfortunately. The mix up with the ashes is terrible. I would be raising heck over that, especially after everything else you have been through!

Last edited:
Oh man, I'm tearing up over here. Baby Kitty looks just like my daughters cat Meow. We're planning on getting her spayed and now I'm scared. My heart goes out to your family.

Oh man, I'm tearing up over here. Baby Kitty looks just like my daughters cat Meow. We're planning on getting her spayed and now I'm scared. My heart goes out to your family.

Just watch her and if you think something is wrong then take her in. I don't think it would have made a difference for Baby Kitty though. If we had a reliable way to keep her inside and away from Tom's we wouldn't have gotten her spayed but we didn't. For the first year of her life we were able to keep her inside. After we moved she ended up pregnant and had a difficult time delivering the last kitten. For us it was a matter of making the choice to risk another pregnancy and it killing her or spaying, we choose the spay.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom