1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Baby peachicks!!!!!

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by Eps32, May 21, 2017.

1. casportpony

casportpony Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    I have one hen that does it all the time so I placed a dog bed under her perch. :D

WestKnollAmy and PD-Riverman like this.
  2. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Yesterday morning I opened my incubator and found 5 newly hatched pea chicks! Hooray! Finally making progress on my hatches here. It sure started off slow.
    These 5 are 2 Opal WEs, 2 Purples and a IB pied. I love once they dry off well and fluff a bit so I can see more of the patterns.
    And I know a lot of folks say not to use a permanent marker on eggs but pencil doesn't last long when Silkies are turning eggs so I started using markers and do not seem to have a problem. Thoughts?

5 peachicks.jpg

3. KsKingBee

KsKingBee Overrun With Chickens

I have been using a Sharpie for years. Date and pen on top, egg number on the side and a date stamp when due in between IMG_1267.JPG .

casportpony likes this.
  4. WestKnollAmy

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    When I first started hatching eggs people said sharpies were bad news. Said they would kill the embryo with the toxins that leak through the egg. In my incubator I can use just a pencil but when I have broody hens rolling those eggs several times a day, I have to use a sharpie and as far as I can tell, it has never hurt my hatches. Though with the rough start this spring I began to question it.
    And I must say, I am loving my pea chicks but I do not want to set as many as you do! Law! I thought 60 last year was almost too much for me and I was selling every pea chick I knew I would not need to keep as quickly as possible. Brooder cleaning wears me out along with all the other farm chores. You are into some serious hatching! I love your breeding program though.

KsKingBee and casportpony like this.
  5. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    :love

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    You're a mad man, lol!

KsKingBee likes this.
  7. WestKnollAmy