Baby Pekin is chirping

PekininNola

In the Brooder
Mar 10, 2018
Hi worried new Pekin mom. I have two babys a few days old at home. One is chirping a loud chirp. Its not constant or all the time. I am just super worried Because I have fallen in love and just want to be on my p's and Q's. I am curious bc I have looked for a few hours online and can not find reasons why this may be happening. Is it normal ? Is it just my one babys personality? I made sure to always have water in a small salsa bowl so its not to much or to little. I made a brooder as you all call it with proper bedding, I have a heat lamp and they have enough room for warm and cooler temps if needed. They have all the food the can eat. The feed store is not open at this moment, I am calling in the morning to make sure it is indeed duck feed and not chicken feed and if so I do not want the medicated at all. I am buying niacin for them later this evening or early tomorrow. I will add 100mlg to 1 gallon of water. I play with them about 30 minutes a few times a day but today at work can only do it once. I do not keep them out long i am scarred of them getting chilled. They are in my living room so i hear them when they cry. I call it a cry bc it is louder then the almost purring noise it sounds like they make when they are getting comfortable at night. I may be being very dramatic first two nights i starred at them to make sure they are good. Only reason I am alarmed is bc its a loud chirp like it is a cry. Its only one of them not both. Any information on behavior and sound I would greatly appreciate. Being new to them I am very worried, so im sorry in advance if its nothing. Better safe then sorry. I work at a 24 hour emergency Hospital for pets, yet ducks are not the pets we see here. I am only the receptionist.

Is it showing any signs of distress? Peeping is normal and some are more vocal than others. If it isn't showing signs of distress, I wouldn't worry. I would pick up a small waterer because they will go through a lot and a salsa bowl won't work for long. Something like this is good to start:

Then as they grow you will want to get something bigger to keep up with their consumption (and play)

Okay I do not believe it is showing any signs of distress so I am thinking maybe its just my duck and its personality, by the way this website is the most informative and the best for answers. I have read so much on this site, and its all the comments that make it so informative for new moms like me. Thank you

Okay I do not believe it is showing any signs of distress so I am thinking maybe its just my duck and its personality, by the way this website is the most informative and the best for answers. I have read so much on this site, and its all the comments that make it so informative for new moms like me. Thank you
Great... yep I have learned soooo much from this site :D

:welcome
110* is way to high a temp for poultry babies. 85-90 first week then 5* lower each week after till their brooder is same temp as house temp.

A chicken waterer will not work after first week ducklings need to be able to dunk their heads to keep their nares and eyes clear.

I'd give your ducklings a soft stuffed animal to cuddle with it really does make them feel secure.

On this thread there is a pic of a homemade duckling waterer,
plus other good info https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings.750869/

Back
Top Bottom