Baby quail deaths

Babyquail

Chirping
Aug 17, 2021
Kentucky
People here in kentucky will know, we had a gaint wind storm and a lot of power went out in the state. I had a clutch of 33 eggs, 17 of which had hatched and were in the brooder. Power went out, and I wasent home so my mum moved them next door (which thankfully, had power) about 20 minutes after the power went out. The next day two babys that were in the brooder are dead, and 6 hatched in the incubator but one is alert but unable to do more than open her eyes and breath shallowly. Power is back, and I moved all the babys back to their actual brooder, but they are weak and cold. How can I try to make sure no more die? I am not even sure what killed the two in the brooder, they had a heat light and were fine, the next morning were dead, eyes closed, on their sides, legs splayed out. And the babys in the incubator are deffinatly weak as well. Is it even possible to save the one little girl? She is in the most trouble, she wont move and keeps opening and closing her mouth on her side. Devistated by the deaths, but I need to try to save as many as I can

Post some photos of your brooder setup.
What are you feeding?
Are any of them eating/drinking at all?

How warm is the brooder on the warm side - please measure the temperature.

You mention that they are cold and weak - you will need to warm these chicks up.

The one in the incubator doesn't sound like she's going to make it. Is she dried? If so, you can try giving her 1 drop or warmed sugar water at a time, make sure she swallows before giving another drop. I've found if they are not thriving in the bator they usually don't make it. It's sad for sure.

Back
Top Bottom