1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Baby Quail Keep Dying! HELP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lswatson111304, Dec 3, 2011.

1. lswatson111304

lswatson111304 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2009
    Milano, TX
    Well, I don't know why I need help because they are all dead now. [​IMG]
    I guess I need to know why...I know I probably won't be able to find out though.
    Ok, so the first one hatched a week ago and couldn't walk right. It kept falling to one side. He finally died. I was heart broken.
    Then I had another hatch, He wasn't very strong to begin with and was lonely. The next day I had another hatch and as soon as it was fluffed up he went into the brooder box with the first. They were both perky and moving around eating and drinking. The last one hatched later and was moved in with them after fluffing. So it seemed I had 3 spunky baby quail. They were all eating, pooping, and drinking. Good right? Well late last night I found 2 sleeping on top of the other one (the oldest one). He looked dead, so I touched him and he wasn't. He lived for about an hour longer. FF to today, the newest hatched seemed weak and sleeping a lot. I tried to get it to drink a bit by dipping his beak into the water (with the vitamins and electrolytes) and he perked up again for a bit. Then just now DS ran up to me asking "Whats wrong with the chicky?" so I looked and he was dying, gasping for air. I checked on the last one, and it was already dead in the box. I'm so confused, they didn't drown. They were dry, and just dead. I don't know what I did wrong?
    That was the last of them too and honestly, after my chicken hatch where I lost 3 within 2 days of hatching (still have 7 growing fast and seemingly healthy) I'm just not wanting to hatch anymore. I think I'm better off with someone else doing the hatching. I brooded 6 day old chicks before this without a problem. [​IMG]

2. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    I'm so sorry. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I don't know how to help, but i hope someone else will chime in.

3. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Sorry I cant help with an exact diagnosis - but I had some quail for a while but sold them when I had too many problems brooding them. My first lot werent too bad- but the second lot of eggs was a disaster. I had a power failure for ten minutes and while I did get a hot water bottle- it was too late just a few minutes without heat and I lost two of them not long after. Another that i had given up on in the incubator did hatch - it was an only one and too small to put with the others- I had it on its own in temporary brooder while I got things organised and it was a little too warm and I sadly overheater that one. I found them just too fragile in comparison to the ducklings I am so used to raising so gave on on quail. Sorry you lost them all- dont give up on hatching though- maybe just stick with breeds that are a little more robust.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by