baby quails dying :(

chickenlittle77

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 3, 2009
hello everyone, didnt have time to search the whole forum for an answer.
i've got 12 coutornix 2 weeks old and they r doing great. this was my first hacth. my sec. one i got 19 jumbo. they hatched past friday. they were doing fine till yesterday one died. i noticed that these guys they r bit sluggish compared to the first 12ths. they seem to sleep a lot. they r eating fine and drinking fine in the brooder. i have few that are very tiny and these guys are not doing so well. today i found another one dead. they seem very week, sometimes they lay on their side and cant even get up and the others stomp on them. Does anybody know what could possible happening? is it cocci? if it is how is it treatable? should i isolate them?
any comments appreciated!
thank you all
chicken little

I was looking up some info on another illness out of curiosity and thought i'd look up info for you too......

"Avian Encephalomyelitis
Synonyms: epidemic tremor, AE

Species affected: The disease is most prevalent in chickens less than 6 weeks of age. Pheasants, corturnix quail, and turkeys are natural hosts as well, but less susceptible than chickens. Ducklings, young pigeons, and guinea fowl can be experimentally infected.

Clinical signs: Signs commonly appear during the first week of life and between the second and third weeks. Affected chicks may first show a dull expression of the eyes, followed by progressive incoordination, sitting on hocks, tremors of the head and neck, and finally paralysis or prostration. Affected chicks are inactive. Some may refuse to walk or will walk on their hocks. In advanced cases, many chicks will lie with both feet out to one side (prostrate) and die. All stages (dullness, tremors, prostration) can usually be seen in an affected flock. Feed and water consumption decreases and the birds lose weight. In adult birds, a transitory drop (5-20 percent) in egg production may be the only clinical sign present. However, in breeding flocks, a corresponding decrease in hatchability is also noted as the virus is egg- transmitted until hens develop immunity. Chickens which survive the clinical disease may develop cataracts later in life (see Table 2 ).

Transmission: The virus can be transmitted through the egg from infected hen to chick, accounting for disease during the first week of life. The disease can also be spread through a flock by direct contact of susceptible hatchlings with infected birds, accounting for the disease at 2-3 weeks of age. Indirect spread can occur through fecal contamination of feed and water. Recovered birds are immune and do not spread the virus.

Treatment: There is no treatment for outbreaks. Infected birds should be removed, killed and incinerated. Recovered chicks are unthrifty.

Prevention: A vaccine is available. "

Collected from:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/PS044

the temp is about 95F
i hope i dont have that thing you said monarc oy vey, i'm gonna read more about it!
thankx a lot guys.

Quote:
I hope ya dont either
hugs.gif
but that's atleast a good read and there are cures for many of the problems so just keep your chin up!
hugs.gif

barnie.gif
another casualty this morning
hit.gif

i took them out and put them in a bigger brooder with wired floor! they seem ok, eating and drinking. some look very tired! i dont know y but this chicks since they hacheted they looked much lazier should i say then the first coutornix that i have. is it because they r jumbo? that means they eat and sleep all the time? i hope so! i went to the store no one sells terramycin in town and the guy said i shouldnt be needing more antibiotics because the food is already treated with it ( i'm giving them 28% Protein turkey feed). ill keep u guys posted
thankx for the good response and thoughs!
frow.gif

oh gosh! that might be your problem right there! coturnix quails shouldnt be on medicated feed dear. They should be on nomedicated feed. Does your feed store sell any nonmedicated feed?

Back
Top Bottom