Baby sparrows 4 of them how do I know if there mum does not feed them?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Chicken Charlotte, May 14, 2011.

1. Chicken Charlotte

Chicken Charlotte Out of the Brooder

Jun 7, 2010
    QLD
    Hello guys,

There are baby sparrows that are in a nest under our house there are 4 of them! There are so many sparrows that fly in and out of there I have NO idea witch one the mum is, how do I know she has not abandoned them! Because every time I make sure there ok and stuff they are always looking for food! But in a hungry way not like, I'm not really hungry but I will ask for food anyways!!!!!! What should I do I dont wanna take them down if the mumma is still looking after them! Someone I am in stress!

2. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Are they still featherless? You can see if they have food in their crops, kind of a bulgy area on the neck.

3. Chicken Charlotte

Jun 7, 2010
    QLD
    Yea they are I really dont want to put all my sent over them that can make the mum leave them but Ill do me best.

4. danischi24

danischi24 Loves naked pets

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    If there are birds flying in & out of there, they are being fed. Leave nature to do her thing.

5. Hoss1975

Hoss1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    north central Indiana
    Quote:Sparrows can not smell [​IMG].

6. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    They grow pretty quick. I had a nest inside the top of a rabbit feeder. There was 5 eggs and 4 hatched. They grow at an amazing rate and before you know it they will be gone. Oh, and they always seemed like they were hungry with thier little necks stretched out and their mouths wide open just waiting to be filled up.

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  7. equine623

equine623 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    NE PA
    Please leave them alone. They will gape for food all the time, it doesn't mean they aren't being fed. If you see sparrows flying in and out, they are being cared for. Stop bothering the nest and the babies, that will disturb the mother and father bird and make them feel like its not a safe place to be. Its great to care about them, and I appreciate that you're concerned, but truly, nature will take care of things like this if humans would just stop interfering.

8. Chicken Charlotte

Jun 7, 2010
    QLD
    Quote:Yea guys I know the momma bird still loves them and cares for them! Because I went out there at night to see if there might be anyway the momma would be sitting on them and she was!

I am so happy for them!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by