Baby turkey fell off table :(

Tipper33

Hatching
May 8, 2021
Hi all. I am new to raising chicks this year. I decided to also get two baby turkeys for the size factor in the flock since there are hawks around and I intend to free range.

Baby turkeys are not eating (separate issue). I took them one at a time and placed them on a shiny table and got one to eat some egg yolk/food mush.

The second turkey had no interest in the food, and proceeded to walk right off the table! My bad :( now he is limping. Other than keeping him under the heat lamp, electrolytes in water, etc, is there anything else I can do for him?

If he dies, (due to injury or maybe not eating) how concerned should I be about the other turkey being lonely? My chickens are 8 weeks and 4 weeks, so he doesn’t fit in size wise with them.

Hi all. I am new to raising chicks this year. I decided to also get two baby turkeys for the size factor in the flock since there are hawks around and I intend to free range.

Baby turkeys are not eating (separate issue). I took them one at a time and placed them on a shiny table and got one to eat some egg yolk/food mush.

The second turkey had no interest in the food, and proceeded to walk right off the table! My bad :( now he is limping. Other than keeping him under the heat lamp, electrolytes in water, etc, is there anything else I can do for him?

If he dies, (due to injury or maybe not eating) how concerned should I be about the other turkey being lonely? My chickens are 8 weeks and 4 weeks, so he doesn’t fit in size wise with them.
Hi Tipper,

I'm so sorry your turkey felt off the table.
How is he/she today?
Would it be possible to upload a video of your turkey walking? or at least a picture of the least used leg?

Did you check the leg for visible injuries?
Is the leg more swollen or a different color?
Are there other symptoms?

Hi Tipper,

I'm so sorry your turkey felt off the table.
How is he/she today?
Would it be possible to upload a video of your turkey walking? or at least a picture of the least used leg?

Did you check the leg for visible injuries?
Is the leg more swollen or a different color?
Are there other symptoms?
Thanks for the response! I panicked all night, but actually today he seems much better! No visible leg injuries. Will make a video if it gets worse. Thanks again.

won't matter.

they roost together

Attachments

• 9A0751C8-EDE6-4C90-A769-AA9214E3771A.jpeg
    9A0751C8-EDE6-4C90-A769-AA9214E3771A.jpeg
    393 KB · Views: 3
  • B9C35539-A3D0-4DF8-9E8E-D40B570ADE7E.jpeg
    B9C35539-A3D0-4DF8-9E8E-D40B570ADE7E.jpeg
    427.7 KB · Views: 3
It's not a good idea to keep turkeys with chickens. If they imprint on them and they're male it can be very bad, not to mention chickens can easily spread illnesses to them. It would be best to get at least one more similar aged turkey so it has something else to imprint on or to just move it along

It's not a good idea to keep turkeys with chickens. If they imprint on them and they're male it can be very bad, not to mention chickens can easily spread illnesses to them. It would be best to get at least one more similar aged turkey so it has something else to imprint on or to just move it along
there's 4 turkeys but they're all destined for the dinner table as well as most of the chickens in this picture. after these birds are gone i do want to just have a small flock of turkeys for eggs. i plan to keep them separate from my laying hens but primarily due to the size of the turkeys...my primary coop would be WAY too crowded with turkeys in it as well.

Back
Top Bottom