Baby Turkey Help

Wow, that's the EXACT opposite advice ive received and used for years with chicks.

Perhaps you'll have to explain yourself better. There's nothing backing up your statements in your response.

Acv, works great for coccidosis and pasty butt, supports when using non medicated feed. Or medicated in fact.
Wood chips, always great results, not cedar mind you.
And we provide clean washed sand as grit from day 1, chicks peck at it too, no issues.

Wow, that's the EXACT opposite advice ive received and used for years with chicks.

Perhaps you'll have to explain yourself better. There's nothing backing up your statements in your response.

Acv, works great for coccidosis and pasty butt, supports when using non medicated feed. Or medicated in fact.
Wood chips, always great results, not cedar mind you.
And we provide clean washed sand as grit from day 1, chicks peck at it too, no issues.
I personally tested the false claims that ACV works for pasty butt. Prior to trying ACV, I would get a few cases of pasty butt from shipped chicks. When I tried ACV, almost all of the chicks got pasty butt including my homegrown chicks.

Prior to the switch over from Huddler on the Internet, it was easy to find the links to the information why ACV is bad to use in high temperatures. Unfortunately those links don't work anymore.

You can use wood chips all you want for chicks. Prior to providing grit to poults and keets, wood chips should not be used for them as they will eat them. Without grit, they cannot digest the wood chips and will plug up and die.

There are those who claim that sand is not acceptable to use as grit because it is too fine.

I live on a sand dune so I use blow sand as bedding (it's free for the digging). Blow sand does contain multiple different sizes of grains including those that are big enough to act as grit. I do not wash the blow sand but use it just as it was dug up.

After reading all the chains, ranta at other postings, etc I've come to the determination that a lot is up to us to figure out, there is no right answer. The internet is a good source of info and chats can help, in this case I think there's just not much we can do.
The symptoms most resemble egg yoke sac infection.
Something we cannot control, the hatching and shipping conditions.
We are giving the latest symptomatic poult fluids, bumped up the temp 1 more degree to 98, and switched from coconut sugar to molasses.

We chose to be urban farmers, this is part of the price of adding new animals to our farm, learning isnt always easy and everyone has different processes to deal with failures.
We will call the hatchery tomorrow, they seem to have a 4day refund policy for dead poultry, which could be a warning sign or a generous plan depending on how you look at it.
We'll keep an eye on the thread for stellar new advice and recommendations.

Back
Top Bottom