Baby Turkey leg injury

Yancey1248

Hatching
Jun 11, 2018
i have three baby turkeys two weeks old. One is perfectly healthy. Two have some kind of leg or knee joint injury. The injured poults hold the right leg off the ground and puts no weight on it at all. The joint is very swollen, about three to four times the size of the good one. The leg also quivers very bad. They both are eating and drinking well and growing. Any ideas on the injury? What can I do?

i have three baby turkeys two weeks old. One is perfectly healthy. Two have some kind of leg or knee joint injury. The injured poults hold the right leg off the ground and puts no weight on it at all. The joint is very swollen, about three to four times the size of the good one. The leg also quivers very bad. They both are eating and drinking well and growing. Any ideas on the injury? What can I do?
Welcome to BYC! Sounds like it might be perosis. What are you feeding them?

Purina premium medicated start and grow
Purina premium medicated start and grow is an 18% protein chick starter. Chick starter does not have the proper amount of protein, lysine, methionine or niacin that poults need for proper development and growth.

A proper turkey/gamebird starter will have 28% protein and much higher levels of lysine, methionine and niacin.

You caused the leg injuries because of the poor feed you are giving them.

This site offers some advice for treatment the first of course is to put them on the proper feed.

Purina premium medicated start and grow is an 18% protein chick starter. Chick starter does not have the proper amount of protein, lysine, methionine or niacin that poults need for proper development and growth.

A proper turkey/gamebird starter will have 28% protein and much higher levels of lysine, methionine and niacin.

You caused the leg injuries because of the poor feed you are giving them.

This site offers some advice for treatment the first of course is to put them on the proper feed.
We are giving our Keet 28% protein mix. But we have one has the same problem as the one described: swollen knee joint 2-3x the size of the normal one, doesn't put weight on it, it trembles... Any other suggestions?

We are giving our Keet 28% protein mix. But we have one has the same problem as the one described: swollen knee joint 2-3x the size of the normal one, doesn't put weight on it, it trembles... Any other suggestions?
The tendency to perosis can also be inherited. Personally, in your case, I would cull it.

Guineas don't have the strongest legs whether they are keets or adults. Carefully manipulate the leg to see if you can get the tendon back into place. If you can, you need to fashion some sort of brace and tape it all in place. If you can't get the tendon back into place, cull it.

Back
Top Bottom