Baby turkey questions

Fry babies

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 11, 2012
Oak Harbor, Washington
We just got a baby turkey today and we're raising it w/ our baby chickens. I have chick starter food and flock raiser for the turkey. Can they both eat the same food, should I mix it or try to seperate them? Also do they get along together for the most part. Also what about being in the same coop? Thanks for any an all help.

Ok, so our poults (BBW's and BBB's) are about 5-6 weeks old now.
Ran out of first bag of gamebird startena, went back to the feed store and asked for more. Surprisingly, she sold me a different feed "Purina Turkey Starter" in a brown paper bag with a drawing of a turkey on the big.
Anyone ever used this feed? It's basically similar to the gamebird feed, except has 26% protein vs. 30% in gamebird.
I can't even find this product on Purina's website, but when I called Purina, they said the turkey feed was better for the turkeys, than the gamebird feed is.
Any comments or suggestions?
The Turkey starter was also about $5 more per bag than I paid for the gamebird feed. Wouldn't the 30% protein be better, or is there something else to consider?

I am also having a hard time with the food thing. I was told since I am raising the turkeys to breed, not to eat, that I should not be feeding corn or soy. I'd like to feed organic and I don't want medicated feed. I have a two year old tom, a one year old hen and a poult. The people who owned the tom always fed him chicken/layer feed. Not sure what the hen and poult were being fed. Does the hen need to eat differently for egg development? The information I am finding all seems to be about raising them to eat..fattening them up.

We bought feed for our poults at Tractor Supply and reduced the protein gradually till they now eat the same feed as the chickens. We are also trying to raise to breed not just eat.

Back
Top Bottom